Monday, November 29, 2010

Magic Scrap

I definitely didn't invent this, and you've all probably heard of it already.
If not, keep reading.

Right before the end of the day, our floor is always a mess! The perfect solution...
MAGIC SCRAP!

Look around the room and find one or two pieces of paper (or a crayon, or a pencil...), laying on the ground. Call out, "Magic scrap!" Your students will immediately drop to the floor and begin picking everything up. Whoever finds the magic piece gets a small prize.

It's the best way to get your floor clean in seconds!

4 comments:

Teacher Stuff said...

My kids have a floor party. They know they have to get all the trash and then some! I get staples and paper clips galore at the end of the day! And it's perfect since our rooms rarely get vacuumed!

ashley said...

I found that there were always a few students who never helped clean up. They just didn't care if they got the magic scrap or not. So along with Magic Scrap, I also do Magic Student. Which means if the magic student cleans up and helps, they automatically get a prize, along with the student who picks up the magic scrap. Maybe once or twice a year the Magic Student will pick up the Magic Scrap and I give them a BIG prize! If the Magic Student doesn't help at all, then I just announce to the class that "Oooh, too bad, the Magic Student didn't help so they don't get a prize" but I don't announce who it was.

Also, the magic scrap doesn't have to be on the floor. I tell my kids it's ANYTHING in the classroom that needs to be fixed or changed or is out of place. That also covers tops of desks, chairs pushed in, books neatly stacked on bookshelves, etc. etc.

TeachingInHeels said...

I've had Mystery Trash this year and its been great. The student that finds the "mystery trash" gets tickets, which just go towards being picked on Fridays to get a treasure box prize.

Thanks for sharing all the great ideas!

Caroline Brantley said...

I do Mystery Trash and Secret Star. My secret star is the student who walks in a quiet line to lunch or special area or it can even a secret worker during stations.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...