Friday, January 28, 2011

Einstein Award

I had a fabulous day today at the Utah Association for Gifted Children conference. I got a ton of new ideas that I'm super excited to share.

Idea #1: Einstein Award

Our presenter, Ed Zaccaro,  had a fabulous breakout session on math called Nurturing a Mathematical Gift Into a Passion.

He had a great idea - an Einstein Award. It's an award for teachers to have on hand for when a student answers a question that no one else can answer, or for having a math 'aha moment' for the first time, etc.

I love this idea! How often do your "gifted" math students get recognition?? Our presenter said that athletes get awards, praise, and recognition all the time for sports. Our students need that same kind of recognition for math!
Here's my version of the Einstein Award for you! 

I can't wait to implement this idea into my class first thing Monday morning.
What do you do to recognize your high math students? I'd love to gather more ideas!

(Einstein clipart used with permission by Ed Zaccaro)

5 comments:

Rachelle said...

How cute is this!? In 1st grade, we might have to have a mini-lesson on who Einstein is. But how fun would that be? LOVE it.

-Rachelle
www.whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

Amy @ SweetExpectations8 said...

Cute idea! I am a big fan of positive reinforcement as I hope many teachers are - no matter what age their students are! I am totally going to adopt this.. as I have one student in FIRST grade who tested into FIFTH grade MATH on his MAP scores! YAY!!! So things for him are done very differently, but he is seeing it as work and not an exciting time to shine.

We also do mental math reflexes everyday to start our math lesson and for the students who get them correct, get a fun sticker. What I love about this is that it makes every student try, even the lower-level children who at first wouldn't put their hand up. By the end of the day I try to make sure had a try to get a sticker in some form or fashion - whether it be on themselves or their sticker chart on their locker!

Erin said...

This is SUPER cute! I have a few students who are constantly challenging themselves. This will be an excellent way to praise them!

Firstgradelove.blogspot.com

Abby said...

What a great idea! Love it - and your printable is super cute!

Katie Bug said...

I've been using this in my first grade classroom for a week now and my kids love it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...