Persuasive Essays

Our big state writing test is coming up soon. To get ready for it, our class has been learning how to write 5 paragraph persuasive essays. To model this, it's tradition in my class to do a shared writing piece on one of our favorite restaurants.

This year, my students nominated and voted Texas Roadhouse as our favorite.



We started writing a fabulous essay! I was so proud of our introductory paragraph, that I decided to take a chance. I sent a copy of it, along with a nice letter about how much my students love their restaurant. In the letter I mentioned that my students would love it if they could share some of their delicious rolls or an appetizer of sorts with our class.

I did not expect anything to come of it...

BUT, about a week later, I got a phone call from Texas Roadhouse saying that they loved our essay and would LOVE to bring some food to my class. My students were ECSTATIC!

Last Thursday they showed up to my class with ribs for everyone and coupons for FREE kids meals!
 His mom is a teacher at my school, and a reader of this blog. I hope she won't mind if I post a pic of him. :)
The nice people from Texas Roadhouse who brought the yummy food!

After we ate the ribs, we brainstormed a list of words that described how the ribs tasted. It gave us some great ideas of "sparkle words" to add to our essay! I am so thrilled at how great this writing activity is turning out to be. 

What a fun way to learn about persuasive essays!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...