Spelling 2

I loved Rachelle's previous post about spelling, and thought I would add some ideas...
-Take a practice test with a parent and have them grade it. 
-Rainbow Spelling:  Write your words 3 times each tracing over your words with 3 different colors.
-Divide each spelling word into syllables.
-Illustrate your words, write your spelling word under each picture.
-I Spy:  Draw a picture and hide your words inside.
-Write your words as many times as there are syllables.
-Write your words in ABC order 3 times each.
-Write your words in order from longest word to shortest word and then shortest word to longest.
·                      -Write each word 6 times in cursive.
            - Type each word 6 times each on a computer. 
-Make a mobile that displays all of your spelling words.  Be creative.  Each piece of your mobile should have your word and an illustration.
 -Use graph paper or the website www.puzzlemaker.com to create a word search using all of your spelling words.
·                      -Write the words that are difficult for you on index cards and hang them in a spot you will see them  frequently. 

Below is a note I made towards the beginning of the year. I had some students who were getting low scores on their spelling tests each Friday and I knew they were capable of doing better. I sent this note home to parents letting them know their student needed improvement. It also offered strategies and asked parents to help me identify ways to help them be successful.

Spelling Notice: 
(Click image for a download)
P.S. Does anyone have a spelling program they LOVE? My school/team has used Literacy Place, Words Their Way, and now we're using Rigby. I have liked and hated aspects of each. I would love to know what you use!!

11 comments:

Ladybug Teacher said...

I love your ideas, as always!! We must be on the same wavelength today, I just posted about the spelling program we use in my class. Our district doesn't have a set program so I use Houghton Mifflin's Spelling and Vocabulary. I like the way the series is set up and they have great online interactives: http://ladybugsteacherfiles.blogspot.com/2011/01/spelling-with-technology.html

I would like to more of the writing/illustrating projects you mentioned. Thanks so much, I know I will be trying these ideas out soon!

Amanda said...

I just posted some extra online and offline spelling ideas on my blog with a few printables! I love your ideas! Thanks for sharing! I like the idea of a spelling mobile!

http://oneextradegree.blogspot.com/2011/01/jumping-on-spelling-bandwagon.html

Mrs. Sherry said...

We use Rigby for reading but we teach LiPS phonics. Therefore, our spelling comes from our LiPS rules we are using for that week.
Thanks for the ideas.

AbbyS. said...

We use WikkiSticks to make our spelling words. We also use playdough to form our words. Another fan favorite is to cover our desks in shaving cream and spell our words. All of these are very good for tactile learning and favorites even in my 3rd grade class. :)

Rachelle said...

To be honest, I'm not sure if our school even has a "program". I know a lot of teachers use "Words Their Way". My spelling words are from my 1st grade team and I'm sure they got them from somewhere!!! hmm.....I wonder where? hahaha :) Well they seem to teach the phonics rules, so I'm not worried!

Cathy James said...

Hi! Thank you for stopping by NurtureStore and for taking the time to comment - it's great to meet you. I like these spelling tips, lots of ideas I can use with my daughter. Thanks.

Deedee Wills said...

Thank you for posting your ideas. As far as what we use in our district... great question! We are undergoing a transformation. We have revisited Patricia Cunningham's word work ideas. I purchased her "Making Words" books, but did you know they are not published in grade level form? I have adapted it and I'm trying it out this year. I call it "Word Explorers" and the students LOVE it... love spelling? CRAZY!

Cathriona said...

Great ideas, I have just posted a blog on my website about spelling games to play. I have used Spelling City too, but my class prefer http://www.bigiqkids.com/. It's great fun and has much better free games and a Spelling Bee too! Thanks for sharing:)

www.missmernagh.com

Kinderglynn said...

I love this. Thanks so much for sharing.
Donna
http://kinderglynn.blogspot.com/

G said...

Just found your site! Loving it! We use "Systematic Sequential Phonics" (yellow book) in our first grade. It uses the making words concept and introduces all the basic phonics rules. Each week, the students are given the 5 word wall words and then we get 10 other words from our lessons during the week. The children are not given these words in advance, so it really tells you if the kids understand the rules.

Tiff said...

I have used Sing, Spell, Read, and Write before. I love it for First Grade!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...