Valentine's Day Book and Activity

I'm telling about this wonderful Valentine's book now so you have a little bit of time to try to find a copy of it before Valentine's Day. To my knowledge, it is currently out of print. I found mine at Barnes and Noble about 5 years ago.

I LOVE this story because it illustrates how one kind deed can make a huge difference in someone else's life.
Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch (paperback)
We read the story together as a class and have a discussion about the important of kindness and letting other people know they're loved.

Then... my FAVORITE part... Letting everyone write nice notes to each other. I always have my students do it using the software program Kidspiration.

If you have access to a computer lab that has Kispiration:
  • Show students how to open Kidspiration. Find the heart graphic and put it in the middle of the page. Let students add there name below the heart. Show students how to make a new speech bubble and attach it to the heart in the middle. Give students 1-2 minutes to add their nice note, then rotate. Repeat until everyone has written on everyone's page. Let students print out their finished project to take home. (Here's an example from last year.)

If you don't have Kidspiration:
  • Download this simple page and allow students to circulate around the class and write nice notes to each other. Here's a example:
EVERYONE leaves school on Valentines Day feeling LOVED!!


-This idea was shared on ABC and 123 {Visit their blog to see GREAT ideas}

13 comments:

Lori Faas said...

I LOVE this book and will make sure that I take my copy out of the general circulation and put it into the "special books" box since it is so difficult to find! Thanks for the idea for the activity. What grade level did you do this with?

Natalie Kay said...

Thanks for reading our blog Lori! I teach 5th.

Rachelle said...

I WANT this book. Hmmm....I think I will email all of the teachers at my school and see if anyone has it! :)

Mrs. Nielson said...

I found this book for sale on Amazon! I already purchased my copy. They have the paperback for $7.99!

Christine said...

I LOVE this book as well...what a wonderful lesson idea to go with it! Thanks!

Abby said...

LOVE. IT. What a cute idea!!!!!

Erin @ Letter Soup said...

I just found you via We Teach, and I've already spotted LOTS of great ideas here! Thanks!

Elizabeth Ammons said...

Too cute! Can't wait to use it! I have the link to the Snowman Fact Families fixed and I have also posted a Valentine's Vowel Sort.

www.fabulouslyfirstgrade.blogspot.com

Elizabeth Ammons said...

I had a friend to test it and it worked for them. Will you try it again and let me know if it works?

Michelle said...

I love this book. You can find this story read by Hector Elizondo at http://www.storylineonline.net/ .

You'll find a bunch of stories by actors.

Anonymous said...

What a cute idea! I use Kidspiration and let the kids put a boy/girl picture in the middle (customize it to look like themselves) and then type adjectives in the bubbles. I love the idea of letting children in the class write the bubbles for each other. I teach first, so I'm not quite sure about the management of all the kids rotating, but it might be worth a try.

LifeinIdaho said...

I found this book years ago in a used book shop. It made me cry the first time I read it...and each year I read it to my 1st graders...I still fight back the tears. I love a happy ending and I love, love, love this story. I do so many fun things with it and it really gets the kids thinking about others and how they may feel...even as a 1st grader!

Erica said...

LOL, I posted a similar activity for first sometime last week that used this very same book. It's my favorite Valentines Day book ever. I swear, I still tear up every time he realizes that the gift wasn't for him. I'm so glad I got my copy and it has a permanent spot in my "special books" shelf so it doesn't get ruined! Thanks for sharing this activity. I love the idea of using technology to do this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...