Friday, February 25, 2011

Get movin' with MATH!

Last night my school had a community math night.  My 1st grade team had to come up with 2 activities to do for the "numbers and operations" standard in math that could be differentiated for ALL elementary grade levels and abilities. 
We incorporated math with movement!
We did math hopscotch and beach ball math.


Math Hopscotch
Supplies:
  • Masking tape
  • Paper numbers (or you can use tape)
  • 2 markers (we used puff balls)
According to grade level or ability, the student can add the 2 numbers, subtract, multiply, identify the numbers, find the mean of the 2 numbers, etc.  




Beach Ball Math
Supplies:
  • Any ball 
  • Sharpie 
Toss the ball to another player in the circle. That player looks at the numbers that their thumbs landed on.  According to grade or ability, they can add, subtract, multiply, {etc.} those 2 numbers!


Click {here} for complete directions to download!


11 comments:

Melissa said...

Great ideas! My kids love anytime we take out a beachball to "play". I have a homemade one with numbers and a store bought one with story elements. We do a family math and reading night too and these would be great games to show parents. Did parents like it?

Rachelle said...

Yes! Parents loved it! :) I think they really liked showing their kiddos how to hopscotch (it's weird lots of kids don't know how) and they liked the beach ball math because it's so easy to do at home!

Jamie said...

What FUN ideas! I may have to try these out in my classroom :)

Lindsey said...

i LOVE this! i love math and ANYTHING to get those little bodies moving! thanks:)

Miss Griffin said...

Great idea! We do a math night too! That would be so fun! Our activity always has to be a "make and take" though.

Morgan
FantasticFirst.blogspot.com

Allison @ Room Mom 101 said...

Hey Rachelle! I posted your Dr. Seuss Unit on my blog. Thanks for stopping by and letting me know about it!
Allison

Ladybug Teacher said...

Love the idea with the numbers on the ball--so simple to do! I know my kids would love to do that at morning meeting, thanks!

Ladybug's Teacher Files

second grade story said...

Fun math and movement ideas! Also, on the pic for this post, how did you get the white outline on the letters for "Get Movin' With"?
Thanks!

Rachelle said...

@Second grade story....I did it in word and I click on "insert" at the top and click on Word Art! :) Then you can select the type of word art you want and you can change the font and colors! :)

second grade story said...

Thanks, Rachelle! ;)

Kristina said...

My kids would love Beach Ball Math- I'll have to give it a try! Thanks for the idea!

justeveryschooldaylove.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...