Sunday, April 17, 2011

Surface Area and Volume

There are not many resources on the internet for teaching surface area and volume (at least as far as I can see) for upper grade elementary students. So I thought I'd share the lesson I use to introduce the concept to my students.

This lesson comes from UEN.org (Utah Education Network), but I was introduced to it at a summer seminar (Utah Core Academy) that I went to a couple years ago.

Download the lesson: HERE

The lesson is called Candies R Us and students get to explore the concepts of surface area and volume as they try to make boxes for a candy store. Each candy = one unit and each box needs to fit 12 candies. Read the lesson for more more information.

*  *  *  *  * 

While you're here, you might want to download these little posters I made today:




Download posters: HERE

5 comments:

Kelley said...

Thanks so much for sharing! These are great resources to add to my math wall.

Kelley
Mrs. Randall’s Learning Library

Cindy said...

I hope you'll join our Math Monday Blog Hop! We'd love to have more upper grade resources!!

http://love2learn2day.blogspot.com/2011/04/math-monday-blog-hop-1-and-giveaway.html

A new hop starts tomorrow. :)
Cindy

Ladybug Teacher said...

Hey Natalie! I LOVE this! It's perfect timing too as we are approaching this topic. Thanks!!! :)

Kristen
Ladybug's Teacher Files

Cindy said...

So happy you joined the Math Monday blog hop. It's fine if you want to post it again tomorrow since you hit the end of the week. Glad you're sharing!! ;)
Cindy

Rachelle said...

Awesome work Natalie!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...