Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Scramble!

I got an iPhone a couple weeks ago and I am obsessed with two little fun games: Words with Friends and Scramble with Friends. Both games are so much fun to play! I like the strategy involved, I like trying to beat my best score, I like having something that challenges my brain a little.

This got me thinking about how I could use some of these games inside my classroom. Afterall, they involve skills in spelling, vocabulary, phonics, etc... I knew my students could benefit from these fun making-words type activities.

Here's what I have come up with so far. A game I call, Scramble with Students. It is similar to Boggle or Scramble with Friends, but it is adapted so your students can play. It makes a fun game to play as a whole class, in small groups, or with partners. It would even make a great self-start or fast-finsher activity for students to do on their own.


Here's a free copy of the game board, if you'd like to try it out with your students:

I did this one with my students today and they L-O-V-E-D it! I set the timer for 5 minutes and when it beeped, students had a range of anywhere from 7-21 words on their lists. After we started looking at it as a class, we made a list of all the words we found together and we ended up with 77 {seventy-seven} words!!  They are so excited to try again tomorrow (with a different list, of course) and see how many words they can find!


For the full version that includes 26 different game boards (plus one blank card so you can make your own) click: HERE.

18 comments:

Busy Bees said...

This is so cute! I teach kindergarten and I could use this for a challenge for some students! Aren't we all addicted to blogging, ipod/ipad/iphone games!! Too much fun~
Robynn
BusyBees

Shelley Gray said...

Very cute idea! I love how this activity automatically differentiates to all different ability levels.

Shelley
Teaching in the Early Years by Shelley Gray

First Grade and Fancy Free said...

Cute! My kids will love it!
Thanks,
Ericka
www.firstgradeandfancyfree.blogspot.com

Miss J said...

I love both of these iphone games as well!! These freebies are super cute!!

Thanks

Miss J
Smiles, Crayons, and Endless Stories

Ms. Rachel said...

ahh love those games too!! so addicting!


Rachel
Ms. Rachel’s Room

Mrs. Cupcake said...

I loooove Words with Friends!! I will def. look into Scramble... and your idea for the kiddos is awesome!!
❤Teri

A Cupcake for the Teacher

A Teacher's Treasure said...

What a fun activity! Perfect for Subs or brain breaks!
Thanks for sharing!

❤ Mor Zrihen from...
A Teacher's Treasure
Teaching Treasures Shop

Kristen said...

This is AWESOME Natalie!! Thank you so much!
Kristen

Tiffany said...

I'm addicted tothe same 2 games! I love this twist for students!

Kelly said...

This is so much fun! I've seen Boggle bulletin boards on Pinterest similar to this! I could definitely adapt this activity for my kinders. Thanks for the great ideas!

Kelly
Visit me at:
"Kindergarten Kel

Megan's Musings said...

I think you would totally love the game Text Twist 2 as well! I'm addicted! It's a bunch of letters scrambled that make one big word but your also trying to make the little words too - but you only have a set amount of time. Definitely makes you think!

Krista said...

Such a great idea! I love this! I can't wait to try this with my kiddos on Friday. Thank you for sharing.

Come on over and check out my new blog if you have a chance at http://stellar-students.blogspot.com. I have tagged your blog as a favorite.

Have a great week!
Krista

Mrs. Thompson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Thompson said...

This is such a GREAT idea! Thanks so much for sharing :) and way to go for making all those game boards!

Mrs. Thompson

Adventures in Teaching

Shelly said...

We did this today and we had to stop but when we did, we were at 118 words!! And the kids still have lots more but we ran out of time. Love this, thanks!!!!

scramble with friends cheat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mic drew said...

My friends and i used to play this game when we are out of town,its very addicted game. My parents are also playing this game,its cool..I love scramble with friends solver

Ernie Thomaso said...

Scramble With Friends is the fast, fun game of finding words in a jumbled grid. Quickly slide your finger over adjacent letters to form words forwards, backwards, sideways…any way you can!


scramble with friends help

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...