Thursday, April 12, 2012

Common Core and You {Part 5}



I know many of you have looked on my district's website for Common Core resources. It is a fabulous resource, but is SUPER overwhelming!  They have laid out all of units {which I only use for a reference, not an exact guide}, but I find it to be too much.  My team and I created this Scope and Sequence to align with the new Common Core and our district's website!  We haven't adapted the Math Common Core yet {next year} and so this Scope and Sequence will change again this summer.  I thought you might want to look at the format {keep in mind I teach 1st grade in year-round school}!





Click {here} to download a copy of the Scope and Sequence




And.....we've been working on Narrative {just like the Common Core demands me too}..... like always! :)
I read this book:

{source}

We pretended like I went missing! First, we fill out our story board by sketching a picture in each box {First, I always have my student fill out characters, setting, problem, and ending. Then, they fill out first, next, and last}:

They retell their story to 2 friends BEFORE they start writing.  I model each of these steps EXACTLY how I want them to do it. It usually take 2-3 days before we are finished with everything.

Then, they go ahead and write their story:

I have some student examples that I meant to take a picture of before I went off track...but dangit.... I forgot! I'll *try* to get into my classroom sometime this week to show you!

I've remade the story board and writing paper so that you can do it with your kiddos {without my name on it, HA!}.

Click {here} to download this

Frames: fancydogstudio.com
Clipart: teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Natalie-Kay
Fonts: djinkers.com

21 comments:

Nicole said...

Love this! I am in the middle of aligning our writing to the common core and this is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing!

Can you tell me what your school website is? I would love to see the resources you have!

Nicole

applesandabcs said...

This is great of your to share....I need to educate myself on the common core...I don't have to do them yet with my school!

Michelle

Patricia said...

Rachelle, as always, your resources are adorable, useful and fun! Thank you!
primary practice

Lori Rosenberg said...

Thank you so much for sharing your common core resource and the Miss Nelson activities!

Lori (luvyorkies@gmail.com)
Teaching With Love and Laughter

Sarah Paul said...

You are so wonderful! Thank you for sharing both of these! The writing activity looks like fun.
Sarah
Sarah's First Grade Snippets

Jennifer said...

What a clever activity!
Rowdy in First Grade

luckeyfrog said...

Thanks for sharing the scope and sequence format! Hopefully, I can come up with something like this for 2nd grade.

I like the Miss Nelson writing activity, too- I'll have to put it with my sub plans! (I always have the sub read that book the first time I have to be out!)

Thanks again!
Jenny
Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

Mrs. Anderson said...

I really like what you've done with your scope & sequence. I can see you must have spent a lot of time on these documents. Thanks so much for sharing your hard work!!
Connie
welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

Ms.Trinh said...

What a great resource. Thanks!

The Teacher Tattles

Room 114 said...

Love your Ms. Nelson resources - thanks for sharing!

Lisa

Stories from Room 114

Sheree Peterson said...

Thanks for the scope and sequence. We are working on our and this will be wonderful to show my team. Love all you ideas!
Petersons-Pad

Jen R. @ The Teachers' Cauldron said...

I love your scope and sequence!! I do that every year too! AND we are moving to Common Core next year - so I have to redo the whole gosh darn thing now! ha!

♥ Jen
The Teacher's Cauldron

Sophia said...

Thank you for sharing your scope & sequence for the year!! It's great to see how other teachers in a different district plan out their units.

Sophia said...

Ooops!!! Thanks for the follow up activity to "Miss Nelson is Missing" as well. :)

http://fancifulfirstgrade.blogspot.com/

Katy said...

THANK YOU!!!! I am on our district's committee for CCSS. We have to make a pacing guide, benchmark assessments, quarterly assessments and report cards for next year when we implement the CCSS. You have helped so much! I can't wait to share this awesome resource with my team!

Katy
kindergartenkaty@gmail.com

sudhasap said...

This post has a lot of importance to the people…I hope you can continue to inspire and post more of this…Thanks Online Training!

Sandra Farrell said...

Fabulous idea. I love those Miss Nelson books. Thanks for sharing! www.savvyteachingtips.blogspot.com

Stacy K. Wolf said...

I love your scope and sequence form! I showed my K team how easy it was to read and we are in the process of making one for next year.

Thanks for sharing!!

Tiffany said...

Yes, like the others...thanks for the scope and sequence form. I teach k-2 special-Ed so this will come in handy.

Heather Perkins said...

This scope and sequence is exactly what I have been looking for except I need 2nd grade. Do you know anyone that has something like this for 2nd?
Thanks,
Heather

Bluecubeit said...

Good idea. I love those Miss Nelson books. Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...