Thursday, April 5, 2012

SpellingCity: Website Review

Learn spelling and vocabulary

Let me start off by saying that I am VERY new to SpellingCity.com - I've always known it was there and I've always used it as a resource for parents who wanted more ways to help their child with spelling, but I had never used it as part of my classroom spelling practice, instruction, or assessment.

This is my second official week of trying out my new Premium account. So far, I am very happy with what I've seen!

My students love using this website for practice! The different activities are fun and engaging for them, and they like it a million times more than a boring worksheet or other traditional spelling assignments.

As a teacher I like that that I can track my students' progress and see the work they've done each week.

I know that I have only just touched the surface of what this fun website can do, and look forward to learning more about it in the coming weeks.

I asked my students what they liked most about using Spelling City. Here are some of their responses:

"I like that the spelling test will read the words to me as many times as I need."

"My favorite game is Hang Mouse because it is fun and helps me learn."

"I like doing the tests on the computer because I don't have to worry about messy handwriting."

"I like the games because they can be fun and they help me with my homework."

"I like how if you get a word wrong, it helps you spell it so you can get the words right next time."

"I like how the games really do help you learn and help you learn to spell better."

I would recommend this website to anyone who wants to improve spelling scores in their classroom. In just a few short weeks I've realized how much time it can save me as a teacher, and how my students' attitudes towards spelling have improved. I plan on using this website again next year as a fun and engaging way to help my students improve their spelling!


16 comments:

Amy said...

I have used this site for a couple months. My students word study feature scores jumped 2 levels and they LOVE this site! They beg for me to put more vocab and word study up there and they practice all weekend!

Jess said...

This is my first year using spelling city and I love it! My students scores have improved so much! Love your student's reviews!
Rambling About Reading

Michelle Tsivgadellis said...

I have been using spelling city for quite some time and their site continues to improve!!

Hope you take a visit...I have many free graphics!

Michelle

The 3AM Teacher
3amteacher@gmail.com

Busy Bees said...

I don't use Spelling City, but I know teachers that do and really like it. Have a great trip this weekend with your fellow bloggers!
Robynn
BusyBees

Ms. Jessica said...

Spelling City really this the best! I've been using the free account fr a while with my class (and they love using it at home)... and I just got a premium account as well. I'm so excited to play around with the free games!

Kelley Cirrito said...

Thanks for sharing! I will have to check it out. I guess I am very new to it also since I have never even been on it! I love finding great new websites!!

Kimberley said...

I'm a new follower!

Kimberley
First in Maine

Terry said...

Looks like I need to sign up for Spelling City. Thank you.
I hope I win.
THYordan@aol.com

Miss H said...

I like Spelling City also. It's a great way to have the kids practice their spelling words. Thank you for sharing all your wonderful ideas. If you have a chance drop by my blog and check it out :}

Becki
http://littlemisshoodsadventuresinkindergart.blogspot.com/

Mr. Jones said...

We have been using the free parts of the site and been loving it. I can only imagine how awesome the rest of the site must be!

Mike
First Upon A Time
firstuponatime@gmail.com

Ms. Lindsey said...

I have been using it for 2 years now. I love it and my kids love it.

Lindsey
Lovin’ First Grade

applesandabcs said...

It was wonderful meeting you Rachelle...Natalie I wish I could have met you too! I wish you lived out here! :)

Michelle

Apples and ABC's

Fran Kramer said...

Rachelle,
What do I say about you and the blog meet up without getting totally mushy
You are the cutest,sweetest and SMARTEST lady in Blogerville (wow that is me just being a genius). I had way too much fun and then my husband wanted to know what we could talk about for 4 hours. Poor guy is just clueless. Loved you more than applesauce as we say in kinder about our very special friends. Here's to the next time.
I loved you. With that said I can't wait until we spend more time together...
Fran@kindergartencrayons.blogspot.com

Fran Kramer said...

Wait I have to hog another comment space. This has nothing to do with your post. Sorry- In kindergarten we are still forgetting some of the letters in our name... just sayin'
Keep in touch! Spelling City.com- not so much....
Fran (again)

Ms. Boyle said...

Hang mouse is definitely a big hit with my little ones too! I do not have the premium account, but I love the freebie games! What's your take...is the premium super different, or just a few extras?

Ellen
greatfirstgradeexpectations.blogspot.com/

Mrs. H said...

I really like your Beiber and Skywalker battle! Thank you!
Janet
Bloominginkindergarden.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...