Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Adding Ten

Can you believe this isn't a Christmas post?  We are *actually* doing "regular" math around here {even though I'd much rather be sorting green and red M&M's}.

We've been practicing counting by tens, place value, and adding only one ten to a decade number.
For this partner game, I have my kiddos use plastic plates and dry-erase markers.  One partner puts an amount of tens cubes in the left spot and only one in the right side.  The other partner writes the number sentence.





And then we did this quick assessment:


Clic {here} to download!

What I love most about this is that it can be adapted to so many things... addition, missing partners, subtraction, place value, and so much more! Thank you to my old teammate, Jessica for the great idea {Miss you, Jess}!
Have a great week!  We are still in school until the 21st. :)

17 comments:

erin. said...

Thank you for sharing this!! Due to Hurricane Sandy we too are doing regular Mathematics up until December 21st. While I love all the red and green fun this freebie was just what I needed! Enjoy your holiday season!! :)

Katie Knight said...

Amen sister, teach them real curriculum. I'm only breaking a tenny tiny little bit from my regular day to watch the Grinch. You rock those standards woman! Thank you for the freebie!!!

Kristen said...

Cool! Does the marker erase easily from the plates? I love it! We're in til the 21st too....you are not alone!

Natalie Kay said...

Boo to the 21st! Love you, Rachelle!

Cher Harrison said...

I was just thinking that I needed to figure out how to teach this better! Thank you, Rachelle!! <3

-Cher

Stephanie Ann said...

Thanks for sharing. I always love your ideas!

Stephanie Ann
Sparkling in Third Grade

Amy said...

I love the idea of using a plate for building number sentences. I am SO sharing this with my friends who are in the throes of reviewing place value with their second graders.

Sarah Paul said...

Love this idea! The kiddos will have fun with this for sure. So clever!
Sarah
Sarah's First Grade Snippets

~DeAnne~ said...

What a great idea!! Thanks for sharing! :)

įƒ¦DeAnne
First Grade and Fabulous

Marybeth Cialini said...

Love this idea! thanks!

Marybeth
Cialini Chat

Valerie said...

Thanks so much for this idea! LOVE it :)

✿Valerie
I’m having a giveaway for the holiday!

Delaney White said...

What a simple, but great activity. Thank you SO much for sharing!!

Traci said...

Awesome! We sooooo need this right now! Perfect idea.

Jessica said...

Love how you're using the plates. Brilliant idea!

What i have learned

Annie Moffatt said...

Genius!
The Moffatt Girls

Johanna Tackitt said...

I absolutely LOVE this idea! Thanks so much for sharing...you might also like my adding ten game-check it out here: Snowy Friends Find 10's (http://fanaticallyfirstgrade.blogspot.com/2012/01/snowy-friends-find-10s-10-more10-less.html)

Thanks...
☏Johanna
First Grade Fanatic!

Rhiannon Jolliff said...

Wow! I love this idea! Anything with dry erase markers gets my kids pumped and I think this could be used for adding with just cubes, too... thanks so much for the awesome idea!

Rhiannon
Sliding Into First

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...