Monday, January 14, 2013

YAY for Dr. King Day!

We've been learning lots and lots about Martin Luther King, Jr. and BOY oh BOY do my students just eat this up.  I mean, they really cannot even BELIEVE that segregation was a real thing.  They are loving learning about Dr. King's fight for peace and equality.  I love when they use these *big* words in our class discussions {boycott, segregation, etc}.


They enjoyed the book that I made for them, but instead of printing it off, we used it on my computer and put it up on the projector.
and then they fill out this booklet...

We also made these cute hand-print hearts as we talked about equality and peace...

Next up {tomorrow}, the peace dove made with our foot and hands...

And I copied these for a fast finisher project...

All of these {PLUS TONS MORE} can be found in my Martin Luther King, Jr. Mini-Unit! 
Click the picture to check it out!



Click {here} to check it out!

11 comments:

Heather said...

This looks adorable!

✞Heather
Swinging Through Second Grade
hdawntn@hotmail.com

Traci said...

It all looks so great. I love the peace dove! Fantastic idea to project the book instead of copying it off. :D {My projector DIED today.... soooooo sad! How did I ever function without it?!}

Kelly said...

I love your cute little poem/saying that goes with your multicultural hand project. It's so sweet!

Kelly
Kindergarten Kel

Fluttering Through First Grade said...

Looks simply fabulous as always. Love teaching about Dr. King and the wonderful lessons we learn about how to treat others.
~Christy
Fluttering Through First Grade

Becky said...

Just bought it! Everything is so cute and perfect for my kinders :) I wanted to make something of my own.. but I'm about to go on maternity leave so I haven't had any time to create for MLK. So glad I found your pack- it's perfect!!

- Alyssha said...

I LOVE the handprint activity/poem. Super cute!

Alyssha
Teaching and Tapas: 2nd Grade in Spain

Teaching With Hope said...

I love the doves made of hands and feet! I haven't seen anything like it. Kids are so sweet. It is so wonderful that way they are surprised that segregation ever existed. It just proves we were born to love each other. Precious.

Your MLK mini unit look wonderful! Can you hurry up and switch to 3rd grade now :)

Hope
teachingwhope.blogspot.com

Teaching With Hope said...

I love the doves made of hands and feet! I haven't seen anything like it. Kids are so sweet. It is so wonderful that way they are surprised that segregation ever existed. It just proves we were born to love each other. Precious.

Your MLK mini unit look wonderful! Can you hurry up and switch to 3rd grade now :)

Hope
teachingwhope.blogspot.com

Miss Trayers said...

Thank you for sharing these ideas. Looking for something different to do with my kiddos this year. :)

NotJustChild'sPlay

Jenny Watson said...

I just want to say that i like the concept of this post very much just keep up the good work.

Italian Villas for Rent

Ramon Abajo said...

Amazing activity!

Best,
Ramon
Fonts 4 Teachers
Fonts 4 Teachers in TPT


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...