Thursday, February 28, 2013

iPad Teacher Club!!

I'm officially in the iPad Teacher Club!! 

I've been wanting one for a while, but I just didn't feel like I could justify the cost since I already have a MacBook and an iPhone. But, I was able to drop enough hints to my hubby, and he surprised me with an iPad Mini for Valentine's Day. 

I love my Mini!! 
It's the perfect size for me and it fits in my purse perfectly!

Today was my 3rd day trying it out with my students and I'm already very impressed with the way it's helping me in my classroom. 

The first thing I did was hopped on over to Hope King's cute blog and searched for her
App Happy post she wrote last summer. 


Then, I followed some of the links at the bottom of the post. I found this one that I absolutely LOVED that shares lots of ideas on how to teach using one iPad in the classroom. 
Next, I followed EVERYONES advice and downloaded Classroom Dojo.
Everyone's been been raving about this app all year, but what I didn't know is that you do NOT have to have an iPad to use this in your class. Anyone can sign up and, using your computer, you can utilize this awesome website. If I had known that, I would have downloaded this a loooong time ago!

I've used Classroom Dojo with my fifth graders for the past two days, and they are super excited about it! They like to hear the sound it makes when I award points, and all I have to do is pick up my iPad and the behavior in my class immediately improves. They are excited about earning positive behavior points!

If you have not set up an account yet, I highly recommend you sign up and use it in your class. 


I also downloaded the Brain Pop App. They have a free featured movie each day. The movie is less than 5 minutes and is always educational! Yesterday we had an extra couple of minutes after our reading groups and before lunch, so I put the movie on {I don't have an Apple TV yet, so I just put the iPad under my ELMO} and my students were able to see a little video on the Underground Railroad. I know I won't be able to do this every day, but it is a fun idea for those transition times when you have a couple of extra minutes. It could also be good to use as a classroom motivational tool.

My other favorite app is the Kindle app! This is my first experience with an eReader and I'm already addicted! I keep going to Amazon to download more and more books. I'm currently on a self-help kick and am reading these two books:


In other good news...
Rachelle and I will both be presenting at the Utah technology conference next weekend!! I've been to UCET the past couple of years and I've always walked away with so much valuable information. 
If you live in Utah, and would like to come see us, here is the information.
{FYI - Online registration is currently closed, but you can register the morning of the conference!}
I need to know!!
* What teaching apps are your favorite?
* Which books do you recommend I download next?
 Please share your ideas in the comments.

14 comments:

Lisa Mattes said...

YAYYYY iPad mini! YAYYYYY presenting!! You will do a terrific job!!! I love Pocket...you can add online articles to your "Pocket" and then read them later without the "stuff" on the sides at a font size that works for YOUR eyes. :) Could help kiddos, too.

Class dojo rocks!

Smiles - Lisa
Growing Firsties

Christy said...

I love Educreations! It's free! You can set up courses, have students watch videos that you create {it records what's on your screen as well as your voice}. Students can create their own videos and you can view them from your teacher account. We've shared videos made by students on the Elmo, but we just got Apple TV.

It's cool that students can work out a problem, explain it, and you can listen to it at any point in the day. There are lots of possibilities with this versatile app!

Christy
Teaching In Oz

Jessica said...

Welcome to the club! Hee hee. Class dojo is awesome. We started using it this week and its been great!

Susie Q said...

I love my Ipad too! I'm coming to UCET to see you and Rachelle next week. I can't wait. I posted some of my favorite apps on my last post.

http://learningwithsusieq.blogspot.com/2013/02/techy-teacher-tuesday-math-apps.html

Good luck on your presentations!

Learning With Susie Q

susieqsclass@gmail.com

Kathy said...

Whether your iphone or ipad, go get the Dr. Seuss camera app...Cat Cam for tomorrow! I can't wait to use it myself!

Kathy
First Grade a la Carte

Julie said...

Welcome to the club! I LOVE my ipad! I have a post on my favorite apps: http://secondgradestyle.blogspot.com/2012/11/apps-im-loving-lately.html
Enjoy!

Kristen said...

congrats on the iPad!! You will love it! I've been using Storia and Spelling City with the kids mostly...I need to find some more apps but I am still kind of new to it as well. :)

Sue Cahalane said...

I love my iPad don't know how I lived without one for so long! I recently did a post on my fav app: http://scienceforkidsblog.blogspot.com/2013/02/awesome-astronomy-app.html

Congrats on being a presenter!
✿Sue✿
Science for Kids Blog

Mommy Reads said...

I LOVE Educreations and Artmaker!
http://www.mymommyreads.com/2013/02/educreations-free-app.html

katie said...

How fun! I love my iPad mini. I got it for Christmas from my husband. I was wondering how you are using the class dojo app. I jut got it and thought it might help with the class I am student teaching in. Can you give me some tips for it?

Katie

http://www.abasketfullofapples.com/blogspot

Mrs. Schoenwalder said...

Congratulations on your iPad! I use Educreations all the time! The kids use Story Buddy to create books it is very expensive, but I bought it when it first came out and I love it! I have also started using Audioboo (it is an iPhone app) and they kids like that to create podcasts on. Have fun!

amber said...

I just joined the iPad club too! I've had it less than a week, so no advice yet; I'm visiting some of the other commenter's links. I've already set up my class info on Classroom Dojo but haven't introduced it to my class yet.

Miss Martin said...

We have a technology grant so we got a whole iPad cart this year and I am amazed at how motivating and truly educational they can be!

Some of my kids' favorite educational apps: Math Hero, Sushi Monster (it's math, really!), Math Bingo and Word Bingo. I also love the Scholastic Reading Timer app because the kids can time themselves while reading for fluency, plus they can keep track of how long they have read this week, this month, etc.

I have a fun iPad app trick for you: if you have the app Doodle Buddy, you can open up any picture that is taken and write on it and decorate it. We take pictures of pages with math word problems, for example, and they can use "glitter pens" and "paint brushes" to circle the important info, draw pictures to solve, and answer the question. They love using it for all kinds of things!

I hope you have a blast with your iPad the rest of the year! Thanks for the Dojo tip!

~Miss Martin
Miss Martin’s Classroom

Christine said...

Yay!

An absolute MUST HAVE - Reflector. Google it - it's a download for your computer, not an app. It uses the Air Play feature to put what's on your iPad screen to your computer, and then your kids can see what's on your screen. (In combination with Class Dojo - brilliant!) It isn't free - but seriously, one of the better tech purchases I've made.

For the kiddos:
Stack the States - states and facts
Puppet Pals - my kids love making little movies of stories they write
Cut the Rope - that's physics, right? ;)

For me the teacher:
Show Me - kind of like Educreations
Common Core
Team Shake - randomly puts your students in groups
Teacher's Pick - like having your cup of 'kid sticks' as an app

For me the person:
Pinterest
Candy Crush (I'm a little addicted)
Keynote
iHeartRadio


I'm co-teaching an iPad class this summer for the district - you should come if you can!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...