Healthy Teachers: Getting Motivated

Natalie here. I know Rachelle is the one with the amazing and inspiring weight loss success stories, but I also had a few things to say about living a healthy lifestyle.

I think know that it's super hard to find the motivation to work out. Wanting to lose weight is one thing, but actually getting up and working out is harder than just wanting to lose weight. Between teaching, preparing for teaching, grading, making copies, and then coming home to fix dinner, keeping the house clean, and spending quality time with my family, I felt like working out was not an option for me. I'm sure a lot of you can relate with that. 

After having two babies, I desperately needed to do something to jumpstart my body into finally losing the extra pounds. I wanted to lose weight, but I struggled with the motivation to actually do something about it. 

Here's what I did to *finally* find the motivation to get started.

  • I had to quit using the excuse of "being too busy" and I had to make time. 
  • I decided to make a daily schedule that included time to get out of the house and start being more active. 
  • I set a goal. My goal was to run a 5K. (To make it more fun and less intimidating, I signed up for the Color Run. The thought of getting splashed with color, helped me to be excited about running.)
  • To make this a family affair, I bought a double jogging stroller. This was the best decision I made because it allowed me to spend fun time with my kids while also getting exercise.
  • I started with baby steps. At first, I just jogged/walked around the block, then I was able to slowly build up to do less walking and more running. 
  • Little by little I worked on building up my endurance and I could go a little bit further and a little bit faster each day.
  • When it was time for my race, I didn't know what to expect. I still felt unprepared, but I did it anyway.
  • I did much better than I expected at the race! It wasn't as hard as I had thought it would be. 

Here are a few pictures from my race:

 
{Before the race started}

{A shot of the fun colors}


{Me as I was almost crossing the finish line}

{After the race with my sister-in-law and her friend}

The moral of this story is that you have to start somewhere. Even if you struggle with the motivation, you just need to get started! Start small and know that it WILL get easier as you keep at it!


*  *  *  *  *


Hi friends! Rachelle here.... I just wanted to add a few things about motivation!  I am motivated by other people. Does that even make sense? HA!  I follow these Instagrams that motivate me:


@gymgirljessie

@mamalaughlin
@mommonntteeee

Also, I'm obviously motivated by looking at the scale and seeing it go down. BUT, I get obsessed with the scale and so I am now looking at non-scale victories (NSV).  I like to look in the mirror once in a while (instead of running past it)...I feel like that's a good non-scale victory, what about you?! I also like to do before and during pictures to motivate me:


The picture on the left was October 2012, on the right was October 2013

Speaking of motivation and non-scale victories.... I've always wanted to wear a cute tank to the gym instead of my oversized t-shirt.  Well... It finally happened!!!! I got the CUTEST, most comfy tank from Ruffles With Love.  I can't get enough! I think I'll order this one next.  I really like how the bow is removable and can be put on the back (it's racerback) or even worn in my hair!  But BELIEVE me.... I get dang sweaty at the gym, so this was obviously a picture BEFORE I went. ;)


*I really want to ask Vanessa (from Ruffles with Love) to design a workout tank/shirt that applies to teachers and working out.  Can you help me with a quick play on words?  If your t-shirt quote is chosen, I'll send you that tank for free!


Here's the only quote I can think of:
Teacher by day
Beast by night


So, head over to hear Etsy shop and get a tank to wear  (they aren't just for the gym!).



36 comments:

Stephanie Stewart said...

Keep the motivation coming!!! I need you girls to take a hop and a skip over to CO and do a color run with me!!

❤ -Stephanie
Falling Into First

Holly said...

You are MY motivation!!!!!!

*teachers are tough

*one tough teacher

*healthyteachers

*blood, sweat and teach

*be strong {one side}, teach on {other side}

I'll think of others later

LOVE ya!

Holly
Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade


AKA - hollyyolly, hollywazy {not sure if you ever made the connection of who I am with all those names!HA!}

Jodi said...

These posts are fabulous!!! I have always been active and have always worked out, but this year has gotten the best of me and I keep making excuses about being too busy. I know that I have to make time for exercise!! Keep up the great work girls!

Cyndie at Chalk One Up for the Teacher said...

I am so proud of both of you! Keep these fabulous posts coming!! You are motivating me!
Rachelle, met you in Vegas and realized then the beautiful person you are inside and out...keep it up, girl! Lookin' good!
Natalie, you are gorgeous, too and so bubbly. Color Run is on my bucket list! You go, girl!!

Sabrina Beg said...

You are an inspiration!!

Tank top ideas:

Teach....Learn...Be healthy!!!

Common Core Not Strong to the Core

Show Your Work!!

I teach...What is you superpower?

Super Teacher...

I am a teacher...I have eyes in the back of my head!

Don't make me use my teacher voice!

If you can read this...thank a teacher!

You can't scare me....I teach!

Inspire...Explore...Discover..
Achieve...Dream!!

Teach Excellent Achieve Children Happiness

Just a few....

Sabrina Beg
1st Clermont Fl.

Shelley- TheWriteStuff said...

Keep going Rachelle and Co. Looking great!

Tank ideas:

"Learn to burn"

"Smart to the Core"

Shelley
The Perks of Teaching Primary

Ashley Reed said...

You gals are so inspiring! Rachelle, WOW is all I can say about your beautiful transformation!!! Keep up the great work!

Teacher At Heart said...

So motivating! Thanks for the inspiration! How about..."If I can teach, I can do this!" Sometimes I have to bargain with myself to keep on running! :)

Teacher at Heart
teacheratheart123@gmail.com

Rochelle Luttrell said...

Teaching Healthy by Living Healthy!!

Strong Mind + Strong Body = Strong Teacher

Just a few ideas for tanks! I want to thank you for the NSV idea!! Mine is when my clothes fit differently. I had lost 25lbs but have put 5 back on...my clothes remind me everyday. I need to get back to working out. Thanks.

Leslie said...

I SOOOO needed to hear this!!! I'm off and on the workout wagon all of the time. I really struggle with being a working mom and then spending even more time at school (we have a teacher workout room) to exercise. I have a toddler, and when I actually think about how little time I get to spend with her during the day it makes me feel guilty for taking that time away from her. I've got to keep reminding myself that I am giving her an even better gift though-a healthy mom! Thank you so much for your motivation and courage to share your story!

graciegirl said...

You look awesome!!!

A few ideas:
"GOT PHYS-ED?"
"Miss {or Mrs} Muscle"
"Drop and do 10 NOW"
"Teaching is 'NO SWEAT'"

Erin Dobrow said...

I love that you're posting about this - too many teachers fail to see that we lead by example. Some students may in fact be motivated solely by the examples we set!!!

Melissa Kozerski said...

Love this post and love both of you sweet girls! :) I have the tendency to go off on tangents when I am teaching and go on and on about organic, exercise, healthy snacks- if I weren't a classroom teacher I would love to be a PE teacher!
So proud of both of you! :) Thanks for sharing!

Teaching Reef said...

I love this post! I struggle with finding the motivation to exercise too! I feel that when it comes to our students we always put them first, so staying late or putting in extra hours becomes easy to justify. Their little lives our in our hands. Due to this, we push our own needs to the side and exercise is the first to be cut! I need to find that balance like you have found/working on that balance! Thanks for sharing!

Ps. Here are two ideas... Can't wait to see what you choose.

What did you learn today? (front)
I am learning to be fit for life! (back)

Working to learn....Learning to work out! =)

Shannon Moyer
Teachingreef@gmail.com

If You Give a Teacher a Blog... said...

I love all of the motivation! I am so good about working out in the summer and then school starts, and it is like I am trying to stock up on the lbs so I can hibernate all winter. :) It's just hard to find the time. This gal will be making some time tomorrow. Keep it up ladies!

My idea for the tank would be "Fitness just got Schooled!"

Tammy Glasgow said...

Great job!! Looking great!

Tammy
http://livinglifehappilyeverafter.blogspot.com/

Brad maddox said...

ok

Brad maddox said...

great

Brad maddox said...

looking

Brad maddox said...

Genuines Works of Data Entry, Copy Pasting, Add Posting, Clicking, Web Surfing, Website Visiting, Article Sharing, Data Sharing, Google Business Plan and Much More Business Plans
www.jobzcorner.com

muhammad asim said...

Top Ten Classified Website List, Pakistani Classified Sites, USA Classifieds, Indian Classifieds, Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Bollywood, Hollywood and Lollywood Pictures and Videos, Entertainment Latest updates, Hot Entertainment News and Pictures Funny Entertainment Pictures, lol Pictures, Funny Pictures and every thing you want...
www.hotcurrentaffairs.com

nida khan said...

Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
www.hotfxearnings.com

zubair saleem said...

Now 1st time ever in Internet World, Facebook Earning program has been Launch, Now you Car earn money online with Just use Facebook and earn unlimited. Post a Picture on Facebook and Get $0.5 Dollar per Post, Unlimited Postings and Unlimited Earning.
Share a Picture on Your Friends wall and Get Unlimited Income from home
www.JobzCorner.com

muhammad asim said...

Photoshop Fail Peoples in this Network... Fail Prank Peoples, Fail Videos, Fail Pictures, Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited.
lolsgag.com

zubair saleem said...

Now 1st time ever in Internet World, Facebook Earning program has been Launch, Now you Car earn money online with Just use Facebook and earn unlimited. Post a Picture on Facebook and Get $0.5 Dollar per Post, Unlimited Postings and Unlimited Earning.
Share a Picture on Your Friends wall and Get Unlimited Income from home
www.JobzCorner.com

anam ilyas said...

Want to Earn Money on Facebook...?? Now 1st time ever in Internet World, Facebook Sharing Program has been Launch, Just Post a Picture on Facebook and Get $0.07 per Post, Unlimited Postings and Unlimited Earning.
www.JobzCorner.com

tahir shoukat said...

Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited.
LolsGag.Blogspot.Com

nida khan said...

Funny Facts on this Website, Every thing will be funny Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags
LolsGag.Blogspot.Com

zubair saleem said...

Funny picture, funny videos and Gif Images in Lols Gag Website Now... Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags
LolsGag.Blogspot.Com

Hassan Asim said...

Genuines Works of Data Entry, Copy Pasting, Facebook Posting, Add Posting, Link Posting, Clicking, Web Surfing, Website Visiting, Article Sharing, Data Sharing, Google Business Plan and Much More Business Plans.
www.onlinecornerz.ocm

tahir shoukat said...

for Lol Pictures and Videos...
LolsGag

tahir shoukat said...

for More Hot Current Affairs with Pictures and Videos...
HotCurrentAffairs

Anwar Fazil said...

Top Expensive Cars, top speedy cars, top most popular cars in the world
TopAmazingCars.BlogSpot.Com

Saqib Khan said...

Find best online jobs ever where you can earn monthly earning without any risk, part time data entry copy pasting and facebook jobs, Join now
RapidIncomeCorner.com

Ahmed Hassan said...

Hot Forex Investments where you can earn profit without any work, just invest on forex and get profit daily upto 12%, Join Now
HotFxInvest.com

Bilal Shah said...

Online Jobs is easy now for you, just spend few hours on internet and get unlimited income with Data entry copy pasting facebook and clicking jobs
JobzCorner.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...