Monday, November 29, 2010

Management Monday!

Have you ever had your students in line at the end of the day and you look up desperately at the clock.  Oh no, still 5 minutes until the bell rings.  To anyone BUT a teacher, 5 minutes seems so short.  When I first started teaching, I would let my students just stand in line and talk to each other  (which was not great management on my part, but hey, I was just trying to stay afloat).  Now, I am more productive.  We go over our doubles facts rhymes (<---Click here for that download) from Halloween that my kids STILL love or we do our "Good-bye Rhymes". I got the "Good-bye Rhymes" idea from The First Grade Parade. I needed mine to be a little bigger so I could hold them up for my students to read.  So, I made bigger cards and I bound them together in a book. We flip through as many rhymes as we can before the bell rings. They are so CUTE. I added a few of my own and ta-da....I have a management strategy for lining up! Thanks Cara!

Click HERE for the download. Here is an example of a few:





{*Parents: print these off and practice them at home. Make movements up for each or make paper plate masks to use as costumes to act out each one}

3 comments:

Mama McAfee said...

This is cute. I teach 3rd grade and they are SOOOO antsy at the end of the day. I've done math facts, but then you always have those few on the fringes of the crowd that aren't participating. Any ideas for third graders?

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog and saw these adorable end of day managment cards. I tried to download and it said the file couldn't be found :( Any ideas?

Andrea H said...

I love this idea! I have a subway art of goodbye rhymes on my door, but hadn't thought of a way to utilize them. I'm a music teacher, and it's very common to be all lined up ready to go...then wait for the teacher. I have taken your download and tweaked it to add the rhythm of each phrase underneath it. Now we can clap and read the rhythm with the rhyme! Love it!

With your permission, I would like to share this on my music ed blog, www.mayhemtomastery@blogspot.com. I'll link back to this post and give you credit, of course!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...