Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Mitten

Do you feel a little down?  Maybe a little blue?  Or just a tad depressed after the holiday hustle and bustle?  Well...I have just the thing to cheer you up! More ideas! I have wanted to revamp my winter unit for quite some time now.  I found Jan Brett's website and I just loooooooove it.  I printed, cut, laminated and attached a popsicle stick to the animal masks from "The Mitten" and my class and I are going to retell the story by using the masks and acting out each of the part.  I am going to use a white sheet as the mitten and my students will have to crawl in it as we retell. 



Here I am pretending to be the bear and taking the picture myself. HAHA! What a dork!
 Then, we have a little creative writing activity where the students have to think of a different animal to crawl into the mitten and tell why.  The mitten is made with scrapbook paper and cotton balls.  Underneath there is a surprise!!!!  Here is my example (my kiddos haven't done it yet)...
Only glue the bottom of the mitten to the page.


A frog crawled into the mitten because he was looking for a fly to eat!

Clipart and/or fonts copyright DJ Inkers and used with permission: www.djinkers.com
Click HERE for the writing activity.  Click HERE for the mask downloads from Jan Brett's website.

Make sure you check out Swamp Frog First Graders & Once Upon a Time in 1st Grade for some more fabulous ideas and extensions on "The Mitten".

17 comments:

Katie King said...

I couldn't get the writing activity to work. Do you think you could email it to me? katie.king@boyle.kyschools.us

Thanks!
http://queenofthefirstgradejungle.blogspot.com/

nankshade said...

I couldn't get the writing page to download either. Could you email it to me too please? nancy.shade@k12.sd.us

Thanks! :)

Rachelle and Brian said...

Oh my goodness! So sorry ladies! I'm trying to get that fixed right now!!!!

Teaching Heart Mom said...

Cute Idea! First time here. Great job, I will be back. I have some Mitten ideas too if interested:
http://www.teachingheart.net/mitten.html

Danielle said...

Honestly I wasn't feeling like doing The Mitten this year - I needed something new! Thank you so much for sharing your writing activity! I love this and it will be great fun! Thanks for sharing!

Danielle
learningandlaughing.blogspot.com

Jodi said...

Thanks for sharing your ideas. They are too cute!
www.fun-in-first.blogspot.com

Katie Smith said...

oh I am glad you saw my blog. Thank you so much for the mitten idea! I did a little editing!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your ideas. I'm planning to use the writing prompt pages to make a new class book. They will love reading the book and looking under each others' mittens to see what is there!

Sarah Paul said...

Thanks for the idea. I'm doing my Jan Brett unit now. This is the perfect addition! If you want to see some of things I've done with Jan Brett, visit my new (totally new and not very fancy yet) blog: http://snippetsbysarah.blogspot.com/

Chrissy said...

Thank you for the freebie! I have always loved this book.
ReadWriteSing

Leah Zilberman said...

I have just got to thank you and let you know how great this activity was in my classroom. I do The Mitten (both versions) in my classroom every year and this was a great addition.

I pinned this idea over my break and WHOA!!!! I don't know if you know this or not, but this idea was re-pinned 45 times just from my pin! FAB-U-LOUS!

It also just happens to be a great segue in to my next unit because all my kiddos (unknowingly) chose desert animals to hide in the mittens, and that's my next big unit of study. So Thank YOU!! (times 45) Thanks for posting such a wonderful freebie!

Lori said...

This is wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing! My kids will just love this activity!
Lori
Conversations in Literacy

The Mommy School said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! Linking you on my blog- mommyschool3.blogspot.com. Thanks again!

Kristina Huber said...

I couldn't get it to download. Could you send me a link. cma_lady6720@hotmail.com

Rachel Gooch said...

I LOVEEEE the writing activity!!! I can't get it to download. Will you please email it to me? rgooch@k12tn.net THANK YOU!!!!!! :)

Lisa Mcanespie said...

hi I would love to use this writing template too but I cant download it.... would you be able to email it to me at lisamcanespie31@gmail.com
looking forward to using it here in Ireland, thanks for the inspiration!

daniela caporale said...

Hi, I love the writing activity can you please e-mail to me @ Danie8677@aol.com thanks in advance

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...