Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Spelling homework/practice

I send this sheet home in my students' homework folders so they can practice their spelling words without getting bored!  They must pick 2 each week and complete the activities. You could use it in centers!

{Click picture for the download}

Then, during the week, we play some spelling games to practice our words.  Here are some of my favorites:
  • Sparkle- Students stand in a circle and the teacher tells them a word to spell.  One student starts and says the first letter of the word. Go around in the circle until the last letter is spelled.  The next person says the word and the next person is "sparkle" (basically they are out and the students get to sparkly them down by whispering sparkle and waving them down) and that means they sit and are out (believe me, they don't get that sad).  If a student doesn't know the next letter in the word, he/she is sparkled.  
  • Spell check-  Divide the class into 4 groups.  Pick on student from one of the groups to be the "Spell Checker". They go out into the hall and wait.  Then the teacher picks one student from each group to be "Writers". The teacher tells them what word to write and all 4 write it on the board in their best handwriting.  The "Spell Checker" comes back into the classroom and picks the one on the board that is in the best handwriting {and of course spelled correctly} by putting a check mark above it.  Whoever wrote that word that was picked gets a point for their team.  The winner gets to be the "Spell Checker" next.
  • Spelling Exercise- While spelling each word, you do an exercise movement!
  • Around the world- You know how that works, right? It's like sparkle but no one is out!
  • Spelling Karate- It's the same as "Spelling Exercise", but do it with karate moves!
  • Hidden words- Hide the spelling words around the room on index cards (I like to use themed clipart like mittens, Christmas trees, snowmen, hearts, etc). Have the students find them and write them down.
  • Have you tried my favorite website to practice spelling.....???.... www.spellingcity.com

13 comments:

Erin Hoke said...

I love this! Thank you so much for posting.

Ladybug said...

I really like these ideas! Thank you so much!

Yes, I have tried Spelling City! I love it and so do my kids! :)

Michelle said...

Great activities :-)

Ladybug Teacher said...

I like the spell checker activity...really cool! And I absolutely love spelling city, don't know what I'd do without it. Thanks for sharing!

Erin said...

I do something very similar for our words. Also, I totally forgot about the game sparkle! It's been a class favorite in the past but we haven't played it at all this year!

AbbyS. said...

We play a game called HOT SEAT. One studnet at at time sits in a chair facing the class (aka- the HOT SEAT) and I write a spelling word on the board behind them. (They can't see, but the rest of the class can). The rest of the class thinks of clues to give the person to make them guess the word. (ie: if the word was large a studnet might say: "It is an antonym of small" or some kind of clue to get them to guess). I let them pick 3 classmates to give them clues. If they guess the word correctly they get 1 point, if they guess correctly and spell it correctly they get two. They LOVE it. We usually play in teams like boys v. girls or right side v. left side. :)

Janae said...

My class is loving Spell Checker!! Thanks for all the great spelling ideas! :)

madseason15 said...

Rachelle,
Wanted to know what your HW folder consisted of in first grade and how you manage it. Thanks:)

Mrs. Garcia said...

My spelling bingo is very similar, but I got some new ides from yours. I'll be posting mine on the linky soon. :) Thanks for sharing!

http://theresnoplaceliketheclassroom.blogspot.com

Jackie said...

We play sparkle and use spelling city! I really like the spell checker idea! I may do that next week!

Jackie

http://third-grades-a-charm.blogspot.com

Stacey Rapp said...

I play sparkle, but we find it more fun when the kids are able to sit on their desk and when they are out they sit in their chair! They LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

Very greаt post. ӏ simрly stumbled upon уour blog and wanted to mention that I've truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I'll be subscrіbing to youг rss
feed and Ι'm hoping you write again very soon!
Feel free to visit my website ... Transfer your balance to one of these credit cards

Anita Trolese said...

Thank you for these great ideas!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...