Poetry (Help Needed!)

Hi everyone! My name is Jessie and I teach 4th grade with your regular blogger Natalie. I am currently working on my Master's project and was hoping we could help each other. I am creating 20 poetry/6 traits of writing lessons and am needing some feedback before I publish. I am sharing a few of the lessons with you in hopes for your ideas and suggestions back.


 I am looking for anything from grammatically correct, to ease of reading and following, to ideas to just make it better. Although these lessons were made for upper elementary grade students, they could easily be adapted for any grade. If you teach a lesson in your classroom, there is a rubric you can just email back to me. I hope through these lessons my love for poetry will come across in your classroom too. Thanks for your help. For any feedback or ideas email me at jcannon@alpine.k12.ut.us Enjoy!!


(Click the above picture for a download, or just click HERE!)

7 comments:

Natalie Kay said...

Please help Jessie out! She's a FABULOUS teacher!!

Becky said...

You have to read Georgia Heard!!! Awakening the Heart is excellent! It has really helped me approach poetry writing by looking more closely at things that are important to children, it isn't just plug in some rhyming words about a topic. She also co-wrote A Place of Wonder and last year, my first graders made Tiny Topic notebooks and loved looking more closely at objects from nature, which led a couple to write some really terrific poems. I'm waiting for her Poetry big book: Climb Inside a Poem to arrive! It is on order! She is a great resource and the kind of writer that makes you want to keep reading! Good luck!

Becky said...

Oh, PS--I was so excited to comment that I did so before reading your download (oops). I like the inkblot and couplet ideas! It is so hard to make poetry seem like something kids can write for themselves!

Samantha said...

I use Hailstones and Halibut Bones by Michelle Higgins as an intro to poetry. It can also be used to reinforce imagery and as an example of descriptive writing. The book can be used to teach many different concepts in various grade levels.

tiffany said...

May want to check out tagxedo.com and www.wordle.net to incorporate somehow into assignments.

JessieC said...

Thanks Tiffany, I actually do use wordle to create the cover of their poetry books when they publish. Love it!!

Nancy said...

Great timing for me!! I teach 2nd now( was in 1st for 20 years!) but we just started our poetry unit this week. I liked your color idea, but I team/coteach writing so I have 35 kids during writing time, so I had the kids fold a piece of notebook paper into 4 sections, put a color dot in each section and then pretty much followed the rest of your lesson. They loved it and they came up with some awesome ideas for future poems!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...