Did you hear that? Yep. It was a big, fat sneeze. I've got it, and so does half of my team. Our students aren't coming to school because they have it too. What is it?

That darn cold and flu!

Teaching your kiddos about the importance of sanitizing should be on EVERY teacher's to-do list.  Why not teach them and be entered in to win some $$$$$ {benjamins} for your classroom.  

Here's how to works:

The CDC estimates that each year more than 164 million school days are lost due to illness, and that number could be greatly reduced with proper hand washing. As a result, NSF International—a nonprofit public health and safety organization—is challenging school teachers and classroom’s nationwide to stop the spread of germs by lathering-up and showing their cleanest hands through the Scrub Club Clean Hands Game.

Now through April 1, 2011, school teachers, grades K-5, can enter their classroom into a drawing for a chance to win one of five $100.00 gift cards for classroom. Anyone can participate by completing these two simple steps:

  1. Snap a picture of your classroom’s clean hands (view sample)
  2. Submit your photo and contact information online
Once you’ve done that you’ll receive a Scrub Club® Clean Hands Game Certificate and be automatically entered into a drawing for a chance to win one of five $100.00 gift cards for classroom supplies.  For complete rules and prize details, click here.
Feel free to also visit the Scrub Club website, which offers free lessons to school children on the importance of hand washing.

 You've got to visit their website. They have free games, free teacher lesson plans, and {this} HILARIOUS webisode that can teach your students about germs! I'm currently watching it without my students even at school yet!

A-A-A-A CHOOOOOO! {Bless me}!

Any more tips to keep the cold and flu out of my classroom?


Mrs. Lochridge said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Harley said...

I read the book, We Share Everything, by Robert Munsch. It talks about how a kindergarten classroom has difficulty sharing and the teacher tries to teach them to share. Then, I use glittery lotion (usually found in the children's or girls department) of many stores. I put lotion on my hand (lots, but not globs, just enough I can touch each hand). I ask them if their hands are dry... and of course they respond yes. I "share" the lotion with them and then tell them I am going to pretend to sneeze and the sparkles are GERMS.. By this time, they have already noticed their hands sparkling. I tell them that if I had really sneezed or coughed and not used proper habits AND washed my hands, they would now have germs on their hands. Then we talk about germs and that is how we get sick. I have used this for many years and I have found it is a great way to show how germs "spread" through touch. Good Luck!!

Mrs. Lochridge said...

I like Harley's activity and I also use glitter to show how germs aren't so easily removed.

Put a small amount of hand lotion in each student's hands. Have them rub it all over their hands.
Sprinkle, over a bucket, a small amount of glitter into each student's hands. Have them rub their hands to spread the glitter evenly. Next, have a few kids try to get the glitter off with dry paper towel. Then, have a few kids try to get the glitter off with plain, cold water. After that, have a few kids use warm water, with soap, to get the glitter germs off.
Let everyone wash his or her hands with warm, soapy water. Bring everyone back to circle and ask, "What does the glitter represent? What happened when you tried to get it off with just paper towels? Cold water? Warm, soapy water? Why is it important to properly wash your hands?"


Kaci Lusk said...

One tip to stay well is to crack windows on nice days, the fresh air will circulate and wisk germs right outside.

Also, from a school nurse, rinse your nose with saline and gargle with salt water or mouthwash as soon as you close each day. Germs breed in your nose and mouth, if your rinse them out or into your stomach they can't make you sick.

Jamie Herrera said...

We watched the youtube video by The Jimmies "Do the Elephant" - reminding kids to cough and sneeze into their elbows instead of their hands. So fun! A quick "Do the Elephant" directed at that kid with the sniffles really helps keep our hands clean!
That and those handy little sanitizer bottles from Bath and Body that can attach onto just about anything!

JenniferL said...

Our district forbids the use of Clorox wipes- but that doesn't stop me! I'm NOT going to have 12 of my students absent in one week (that happened to a teammate) because of germs on desks. I super secretly wipe down desks once a week (and doorknobs, and chairs, etc). And if a a child goes home sick I wipe down their desk that day too! Chair and all! It's worked really well in my class!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...