Sunday, March 27, 2011

Management Monday {Spring Edition}

I'm doing this in my classroom again this year and it works like a CHARM!

Are your kiddos feeling the spring fever or are you the one going stir crazy!?
This management tip is used on our 1st grade team but will work in any classroom. 
It's great for springtime spring fever.
You need 2 Easter baskets and plastic Easter eggs (you need double the amount of eggs as you have students...so if you have 25 students, you need 50 plastic Easter eggs).  Can anyone say Dollar Tree?

In basket #1, you fill the eggs with the students' names (one name in each egg).  In the other basket, you fill the eggs with strips of papers that have prize names on them.

Randomly throughout the day/week, pick a student to come and pick an egg out of the name basket.  They open up the egg and read the name {or you can pick from the basket instead of having a student do it-I just like to involve everyone}. If that student is on task they get to pick an egg from the prize basket (If they are not on task, you just quietly put the egg back and the students know that someone that was picked was not on task).  Here is a list of the prizes I giveaway. Some of them might not be applicable to you, but you can just leave those out.

{Click HERE to download the prize list}

After the winning student gets their prize, you also give them one of these certificates!  It makes them feel so good and you'll have VERY on task students all week.   

{Click HERE to download certificates}


clipart and or fonts from DJ Inkers (djinkers.com)

17 comments:

Mrs. Osterman said...

Thank you for sharing ALL your great ideas. I really enjoying stopping by your blog and getting inspired to do more in room!

Lauren said...

Thanks for the fabulous idea!! My kiddos definitely have spring fever...and I'm excited to use your idea :)

First Grade Best said...

I love it! Very Creative! Can't wait to use this idea starting...TOMORROW!!! :-)

~MichelleFirstGradeBest

Janae said...

My class is really having spring fever issues! This will be great to try. I do two other activities to help with that.

1. My kids seem to do more bullying at this time in the year, so I start a Friendship book. The children write nice things that someone did for them. I randomly read passages from the book to the class, cheer for the student, and give them a fantastic friend sticker. They love the public recognition!

2. This kind of goes along with the first one. I start up a Friendship PE once a week. I have everyone’s name on a paper in a cute little heart shaped box. If someone does an unfriendly thing, their name gets taken out. They can go back in by doing something kind for another student. On Friday’s I take the kids who are in the box and do an extra PE activity. If they didn’t make it in, they have to sit by the wall and write nice things about the other members of the class.

I was just thinking today it is time to start some of these spring activities up! I had some wild boys today! :)

-Janae
www.msv1stgrade.blogspot.com

Julie said...

Have I mentioned that...... YOU ROCK!!

I just love your ideas. Today I was at a CHAMPS training and we were passing ideas like this one around. I hadn't read this post yet or I would have shared it.
Thanks for all the cool ideas you share with us!!

Julie
Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher

Alicia said...

I loved this idea! So...I went out and bought some super cute polka dotted eggs! I can't wait to start doing this with my kids. They really respond to this kind of thing. Thanks for the idea! :)

Kindergarten Kinderoos said...

This is a great activity...starting tomorrow!
Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Love, Love, Love this!!!

JenniferL said...

Such a great idea!!!! My kids will be so excited! (Don't you love how all teachers call their students "my kids")
http://rowdyinfirstgrade.blogspot.com/

Michelle said...

So Cute! Love it!
http://mrsayalaskinderfun.blogspot.com

Hadar said...

We were seriously on the same wave length today!

Brenda said...

SO cool! And I jsut found a bag of plastic eggs in my closet, too! Thanks for sharing your creativity!

Brenda
http://primaryinspired.blogspot.com/

Mrs. Morris said...

Wow! I love this! I am going to start this right away! I am always looking for new ways to encourage desired behavior.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful ideas.

Mrs. Jordan said...

Thanks for sharing your ideas. I really have a wonderful group of students this year and they deserve all the recognition in the world!

Jamie said...

What a great idea!

Sarah said...

I LOVE this! I am going to do this tomorrow. We still have 2 more weeks until spring break and I think the kids and myself and going a little crazy! haha

Sarah
teachingiscolorful.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...