Monday, May 30, 2011

Management Monday: End of the Year Behavior!

Being in year round school {we're in school until July}, this time of the year is very difficult for my students {and me too}. The traditional schools are already out of school for summer, the weather is great, and we all have "summer fever"...which makes for a little stress on my behavior management.  The behavior of my students always takes a slight step back.  Since it takes a step back, I guess I'll have to step.it.up!  Talking to teachers on my team, they told us that at the end of the year, they start a money management system by giving school money out to students who are following the expectations. Then they have a class store/party {we'll have parent volunteers donate items and their time} at the end where they can buy things. HALLELUJAH! It's exactly what we needed {me and my teammate who works on the same track as I}. So, I ran with it and started creating!  I created a packet to explain the money management. I know some of you are out of school already, but print it and save it for next year! This could work for any grade level {I'm using it in 1st grade}.

Here are a few things from the packet...



Instructions: 

 Parent Volunteer Letter:

 Supplies need for end of the year class store:


Signs to help the students navigate {7 total}:


 Receipts from the class store:
 Labels {use Avery 5160}  for your "Wallet" {it's a ziplock your kiddos put their coins in}:







If you would like the labels that go on the ziplock baggies {Wallets}, you must click {here}
I could not get those little guys to format in my packet!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My Gosh! We are doing something very similar in second grade. We are having a "mall" where they can move around and shop in the different stores with the kids "owning" different shops in the classroom. It has definitely helped with behavior. Thank you for posting this. Such cute add ons. I can't wait to show the "store workers" the receipt...they will get a kick out of filling it out :) Christa

Mel D said...

This is wonderful! Thanks for posting!

Mel D

Oh the Places We Will Go

mrs. tabb said...

I have NO clue why I am just now following. i check you guys out ALL the time a just realized. Glad to be on board now, you guys ROCK! =)

mrs tabb

anotherdayinfirstgrade.blogspot.com

Laurie said...

I do this and let me tell you it works with the little ones! They all started with $10 at the beginning of the year. I gave them a wallet (paper envelopes from the dollar store) and they glued a license on the front with their name and pic.

They were paid for completing class jobs, good behavior, and working hard.

Students lost money for unexpected behavior and not completing homework.

It works! At the end of each month the kids look forward to the Lyon's Store opening. I even made the Lyon's Money.

Check it out if you're interested!

http://firstgradelyonsden.blogspot.com/search/label/Classroom%20Management

Laurie

Ms.M said...

Wow, kudos to you for being a year round teacher.

Ms. M
Ms.M's Blog
A Teacher's Plan

The Andersen Family said...

Awesome! Wish I was still teaching year round!

Kate Z. said...

This is great!. Thanks for sharing.

Elizabeth said...

Oh, how I miss big bucks!! We used to have them, but our administration wanted to get away from token economies in the classroom, so we can now only use our big bucks during the six weeks we teach a unit on money around the world. In the spirit of compromise, we agreed that we would not have a store where the kids could buy toys, books, stickers, etc. Instead we sell coupons that are good for things like extra time on the computer, a day in which the student can not wear shoes in the classroom, lunch with the teacher, etc. The kids loved it, and it was a lot easier to manage than a 'toy store.'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...