Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Sight Word Ideas

Since our state is going to the Common Core State Standards {Reading and Language Arts only this year},   I thought I'd read up!  As my team and I were going through the standards we noticed that our 1st graders need to not only be able to recognize the sight words but spell/write them correctly too!  BAM! That's when it hit me! I had seen an AMAZING post by Growing Kinders about a sight word password. PLEASE go to her blog and check it out...she's one of my favorites!!!  I remade the poster to match my classroom {it's my OCD}.



Here's the breakdown. Post a laminated "Today's Password" poster outside of your classroom.  Each day, with a wet erase marker, write a different password on the poster and as your kiddos enter the room, they need to whisper it to you!  Well since they have to be able to write it also, I made a "Password of the Day Book".  After they whisper it to me, they need to go write that word in their book!  


Clipart from DJ Inkers and used with permission from djinkers.com


In our 1st grade we have 5 sight words a week that go home with them to practice as homework. At the beginning of the week, I introduce the words and tape them to the board {I don't put them on my word wall yet} We also practice them everyday in class. I LOVE another one of Growing Kinders' ideas to practice sight words {HERE} Also, for more word wall/sight word activities go {HERE}! At the end of the week I {with the help of my firsties} post them on our word wall that looks like this:
{source} I love this word wall because it's mobile. I rotate classrooms every 9 weeks!


The borders are from this cute new website I found called Print Candee   
Many of their products can be used without a commercial license, 
but make sure you read their terms of use.

22 comments:

Gladys said...

Rachelle, you are so kind...Thank you so much for sharing this freebie. :)

Kathleen said...

Love it Rachelle! Yours is much cuter than mine!!

primary teacher said...

Rachelle, Thanks for sharing your adorable printables and the source for your cute graphics!

Mrs. Jackson said...

Love this! Thank you for sharing!

Melissa
Love, Hugs, and Ladybugs

Mrs. Taska said...

This is so darling! I am going to make one for my classroom. Thanks for sharing these great ideas!

Leah

diaryofa1stgradeteacher.blogspot.com

KP said...

Oh my goodness, I cannot tell you how much I love this idea!! I think it's amazing!! I'll have to do it a little differently since I pick my kids up all at the same time from Morning Assembly, but I can see them just eating this up! They'll start out whispering it to each other and then I'll say "What's the password?" and they'll all yell it at me!! I love it! Thanks so much!!

Katie
Teachers Ask, Teachers Tell

Jenn Bates said...

Great share, thanks! I recently found Print Candee, too! Cute stuff!
Jenn
Finally in First

Ms. Nicole's Class said...

Super cute!
Thx for sharing!!

meesabelle said...

I am sooo going to do the "Today's Password"! Thank you! I linked this to 1st Grade CCSS links in the RFS section.

First Grade Frame of Mind

ScrapinShana said...

I really love this idea! Thanks for the freebie =)

Bigbird said...

This is a great idea. Thanks for sharing. My students also have 5 words each week. I think I might my password a word that rhymes or is similar to one of our word wall words. Thanks again.
Robin (Bigbird)
http://www.firsttoremember.blogspot.com

dbednars said...

Thank you so much! This will be perfect for my group of students with IEPs (2nd grade).

Brittney said...

Eventhough I teach 2nd I think this is still a great idea! The 'password' can be one of their spelling or bonus words that week. Also can help with behavior since they will immediately come in and have something to do while your still standing at the door. :)

Check out my blog:
Http://brittney-teachpraylove.blogspot.com

tkovacs said...

Thank you....can't wait to use it!

Hope King said...

To cute! Thank so much for sharing! I am your newest follower and LOVE your blog! :)

Hope King
www.shenanigansinsecond.blogspot.com

Amanda said...

I love this idea. I'm trying to figure out how to adapt it to 4th grade. Content vocabulary maybe? What great possibilities! Thanks for sharing.

Amanda @
http://theteachingthief.blogspot.com/

Cyndy said...

I love your idea of the book! Great reinforcement! I would love to steal a copy but my OCD (as well) wants me to make one that also matches my classroom! LOL!
Cyndy
Counting with Coffee

SLTejeda said...

Love the password idea! Going to give it a go this year :)
http://tejedatwostep.blogspot.com/

Morgan said...

Cute idea! I've taught SIPPS before and one of the things we do in SIPPS is say-spell-say all of our sight words (yes all of them, everyday - they get quick at it). I've carried that over into my non-intervention work and always have kids not just read the words to me but spell them and then say them again. I've found it goes a long way to helping them learn how to spell them correctly too.

Grade ONEderful said...

Thank you very much! BTW, I'm a new follower. Your site is impressive :)

❀Barbara❀
Grade ONEderful

Deb Gray said...

Clever idea! Thanks for sharing!

Vanessa said...

I used sight word stars and place them on wall and ceiling. Used glow in dark markers so my son can read them at night. Could do this with sight word border around room. My son loves it!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...