Management Monday: Tattling

I know we all have this little issue in our classroom. Give me a:

GO NO Tattling!

 It's very difficult for students to only worry about themselves! I made a lesson to help with this very thing. Some kiddos just don't know any better. Many kiddos don't know the difference between an emergency and a tattle.  I ALWAYS want my babes to know that their voices and feelings are heard. I try to ask them in a kind way if it's an emergency or a tattle. I never want to shoo them away.  I like the idea of a tattling turtle or the tattling monster. I've never done it before, but do you think I should add it into my classroom???

Here's what I have for you:

Pocket chart sorting activity:

The fight chant:

How do you deal with tattling in your classroom or at home?

Clipart and/or fonts used by permission from DJ Inkers


Kinderpond said...

I have a HUGE frog that sits in my classroom, I call him the Tattle Frog. The children can tell him all of their tattles!


Anonymous said...

This is awesome! I came across a book over the summer (thank you Pinterest!) called "Don't Squeal Unless it's a Big Deal: A Tale of Tattletales." SUPER cute and really helped open the discussion with my first graders this week! Your activities would be a great extension to the book!

Rachelle said...

@Anonymous- That book is included in my "book list" inside of this lesson. Maybe I'll fix my post to include that book at the top! THANKS!!

Kerri and Lindsay said...

This is AWESOME!! I had sooo many kids last year that tattled, it was RIDONKULOUS! I am sooo using this next week! Thanks a million! You are the BOMB!
Kerri B

Amanda K. said...

This is just too stinkin' cute!

Third Grade Meanderings

Lindsey (The Teacher Wife) said...

i LOVE this! thanks, i will be using this in my class next week. thank you, thank you!! :)

charterchick said...

In my classroom I have a picture of the principal on a door. The students can tell Mrs. A by putting a post-it note on her picture.

MArmour66 said...

I use the Barbara Colorosso technique - is it telling or tattling? If it gets you or some one else out of trouble or danger it is a tell and I need to hear it. If it gets someone into trouble it is a tattle and I don't need to hear it. If it is a little of both I need to hear it. I have interrupted them and asked them to think about their answer if it starts to be a tattle. They soon realize the difference.

charterchick said...

There is a great book I used called, A Bad Case Of Tattle Tale Julia Cook.
I read it to my second graders and they loved it!

Natalie Kay said...

This is a great idea! I don't have too much tattling in my class, but I still think students should know the difference between tattling and telling.

Mrs. Miner said...

Thanks for sharing your tattling freebies! It will go great with my lesson using the book A Bad Case of the Tattle Tongue! I posted a free poster on my blog based on the book to remind students what to do if you want it.
Mrs.Miner’s Monkey Business

Kathy said...

Hey Rachelle...Love the ideas! You are in my Top Ten list! Stop by Teaching Blog Addict and grab the button. I enjoy your blog!

First Grade a la Carte

Krystal Van Kampen said...

Very cute idea! I especially love the poem. I haven't had too many problems with tattling in fifth grade, but when I taught primary I had a Problem Solving Portfolio where the students would fill in a form when they wanted to tattle.

Wanda Brown said...

One of the teachers I used to work with, took a photo of herself and enlarged it. She put it on the wall. When tattling would occur, she would say, "I don't have time for tattles...go tell the other teacher." They would go to the photo and tell the photo instead. I watched kids do this over and over until they got the hang of what the difference was between a tattle and a tell!

Reagan Tunstall said...

Thanks! Plan to use this STAT!
Great Freebie!

Team Carroll said...

LOVE this idea! Super cute!! That tattle chant is darling! I'll definitely be using that this week!! Thanks!!

Cara :)
The First Grade Parade

Kerri said...

Love this! Thanks for sharing. I need a little help with working on tattling with my kiddos.

Sarabeth said...

love it! thanks for sharing1

Ms. Naparalla said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing!

Jess said...

Thank you! I will be using this tomorrow! Rambling About Reading

Ms. Gruver said...

I have a blow up turtle that I got from the Target dollar section and a Notebook that I labeled the "tattle turtle Notebook." I haven't started using it yet just because we are still working on basic procedures, etc. But I think I'll introduce it next week.

Mrs. Degeo said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this!

Ginger Snaps said...

I nominated you as one of my Top 10 Blogs!

Go here to view the post:

Here is the link to claim your award:

I just adore your site!


First Grade and Fancy Free said...

I talk to my kiddos about "tattles" and "tells". A tattle is when someone is hurt (physical or little feelings). A tell is when you are wanting that person to be in trouble for doing something and nobody is hurt. Some years kids have a harder time with the tattling and that's when I introduce the tattle journal. I will tell them to go write it in the tattle journal (it has to be written like a friendly letter muhahahahaha) and I will read it at the end of the day. Some of the entries are HILARIOUS. I do make sure I talk to the kids every once in awhile about things that are in the journal so they know that I am reading it :)

Miss Wonder said...

What a great idea! I hate tattling so we taught the kids conflict resolution skills. When they came to me about what so-and-so did to them and I say "did you talk to them?" they give me a blank look. I will definitly use this. Thanks.

Mrs. Scoma said...

You are wonderful!!

I love your blog and just nominated you for one of my top ten. Get your award here:
See my post here:


Janae said...

LOVE this! Perfect for my second week of school. Thanks! :)

The Sharpened Pencil

Ms. Rachel said...


I love your blog! I am passing on the Versatile Blogger Award to you! Come and check it out!

Mrs. Missy Kennedy, Master Teacher, MAT said...

I listed you in my Top 10 Blogs. Check out the link to my blog post at The Kennedy Korral Top 10 and get your fantastic award button at Blog Award.

Homeschoolin' Momma said...

I thought I would add what I would do in place of the 'Tattling' materials.

I would think that children would do better with a Resolution Chart, laying out the simplistic steps in solving a problem. Step One: Talk to the other person about the problem. Step Two: Listen to their side. Step Three:...

Using this model we don't put a value on their thoughts and feelings. They are taught a constructive way to deal with the things THEY feel are issues.

And if all else fails they always know that a caring teacher such as yourself can assist.

Just my thoughts :)

Rachel said...

Perfect timing! Today was filled with tattles, so I'm doing this tomorrow. Already made my copies and all :o) Thanks!

Emily said...

This is awesome! When I clicked the link to download, it wasn't working. Is there any way you can email the file to me!? Pretty please! :)

Chelsea & Cody said...

I am a Kindergarten teacher and I also have an amazing solution to tattles! It is called the problem square. I use tape to draw a square on the floor with an X through the middle forming 4 triangles. When a student has a problem with another child they go to the problem square to solve it, not me!
Directions for the Problem Square (written for the class):
1. Tell your friend "we need to go to the problem square."
2. Take turns sharing what the problem was.
3. Come up with a solution or "fix."
4. Agree on the solution and shake hands.

I can't even tell you how amazing it is to see a group of Kindergarteners discussing their problems, taking turns, and coming up with their own solution with out me! I promise that with a lot of modeling this will change your tattling.

allisong said...

Live your ideas. You're right, we really do need to explicitly teach how to handle situations with friends.


Lory Robinson said...

Hey Rachelle!
Love your "Tattling" lesson. We need it for sure!
Thanks for all of the great stuff!

Lory Robinson said...

oops! Forgot, I know how to "link" now! Yeah

Fun for First

A Tale of 2 First Grades said...


Thanks so much! We have talked about tattling plenty already this year but the class I have needs a little more time to grasp the difference between "tattling and telling" your activities are perfect.


Anonymous said...

Hi to every , because I am genuinely eager of reading this weblog's post to be updated regularly. It includes nice stuff.
Also see my webpage :: weightloss Drops

Shanna said...

Thanks for the freebie! Love it!

David Najdzinowicz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David Najdzinowicz said...

A more interactive way as well as better for younger kids to use, instead of trying to write things down, is It lets kids get their tattles out and also lets parents monitor them to hear if it is something they need to deal with.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...