September 11th

I remember that Tuesday morning when I was working the morning shift at work. The TV's were on and my coworker and I looked up as the footage from plane number one was being re-shown on the screen. It looked like a scene from a movie, we both stood their in shock as we heard the report. That's when the second plane flew straight into the other Tower. There was smoke and the reporters were saying that it must be terrorists.

I was scared the whole day. Scared that something else would happen; something closer to my home. Sports games were cancelled and candlelight vigils were held.

As horrible as that day was, it was amazing to see America come together as one.

As I reflect back on that day I'm so grateful for the heroes of 9/11. The firefighters who lost their lives, the people on flight 93 who fought back, the countless numbers of wives, husbands, and children left behind...

Here are some materials for you to use as you teach students about that day. 

Click HERE to download!

I assign the 9/11 homework the day before I'm going to teach about it, so students can come prepared with their interviews. They come to school with more background knowledge and understand the significance of it a little bit better.

Have any thoughts or feelings you'd like to share? Anything special you do to teach about September 11th? Please leave a comment, I'm sure we'd all like to hear!

P.S. If you liked these 9/11 graphic organizers, you may also like my entire American History graphic organizer set. Check it out HERE!


Leslie said...

Love this idea!!! My students were not even a year old at the time which still boggles my mind:) I think this is awesome and what a great way to tie in interviews. THanks for sharing!!!

Christine said...

Great idea - I love it.

I'm also using the Library of Congress. There is an exhibit with online access to the documents:
There is also a collection with interviews and images:

I have been thinking lately that I really need to record where I was for these types of major historic happenings... My dad's gone now, and I'm glad that he told us (many!) times where he was and what he was doing when he found out that President Kennedy had been killed. So this will be a great step for me in the right direction!

Ashlee said...

Google Docs is not letting me view either page. They both look like awesome pages that I definitely want to use! I'm not sure if it's my computer or what! :)
I just posted about some books I read aloud for September 11. Another thing I do for September 11is let the students work together to make a big mosiac out of construction paper and magazines to recreate the Twin Towers. We read a book called September Roses, and then we add fake rose petals to the mosiacs.

froggycupcakes said...

I nominated you as one of my top 10 blogs!! Go here to view my post:

Go here to claim your award:

(Sorry, I am having issues with my direct links right now.)

Debbie said...

I discovered your blog thru the linkie at Sunny Days. I am the author/illustrator of the newly award winning picture book, "Red, White and Blue" based on the lyrics of a song I wrote by that name -- immediately after 9-11.

I am grateful to see the way that you have approached the topic. Your handouts/homework are really 'helpful' as tools, to grasp history that is before the lives of these young students.

Thank you for your insight.

Debbie Clement

SunnyDays said...

Thanks you so much for linking up and sharing such great resources!

Sunny Days In Second Grade

Jacksonhvap said...

Investment Legends: 'Dollar Collapse Inevitable' Jeff Clark. It might feel good (at the time), but we're. represents a new phase on the path to dollar collapse. out of 100 people have any idea about investing in gold. Buying Gold. Buying gold coins or bars for investment is now tax free (VAT exempt) in the UK and EU. We can give you pages of advice. And the author has an excellent knowledge in etf investing and has been in finance sector for years. Treasury Secretary Paulson, in China, tried to reassure the world that the subprime mini-meltdown was "contained". Best Stocks To Buy Right Now Best Stocks To Invest In. Best Stocks To Buy Right Now: American Oriental Bioengineering Inc. (AOB) American Oriental Bioengineering, Inc. engages in the development, manufacture, and.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...