The Common core and YOU: Part deux!




Last week I posted some Common Core English Language Arts ideas. I've come back for more! :)

When I get to unit 3, in a few short weeks {according to my district's pacing guide} I should start to teach my kiddos narrative writing. I wanted to see how ready they were so I started it a little bit. I've started to make some things to help them understand the sequence. I also use the who, what, when, where cards I posted about before {here}.

We started talking about narrative stories because we were reading them everyday! After we read a book, I would ask what happened in the beginning, middle, and end. When they mastered that, we moved on to first, next, then, last. Then, I told them we are going to write our own narrative! AH!


  



Or perhaps you need these:

   



Oh narrative writing. Why do you hate me? By the end of the year, they should be able to:Write narratives in which they recount two or more appropriately sequenced events, include some  details regarding what happened, use temporal words to signal event order, and provide some sense of closure.

*NOTE: I DID A LOT OF MODELING AND SHARED WRITING BEFORE I LET THEM GO OFF AND TRY THEMSELVES!!!! It's all about modeling!
For this activity. I just read a book about a haunted house {you can do any topic} and I had my kids pretend they knocked on the door of a haunted house {sorry, I forgot to take pictures}. They drew a picture of what would happen:


Then, they took what they drew and wrote one or two sentences {rough draft} to go along with the picture:

Finally, they wrote a final draft after I had a mini-conference with them about their rough draft.


They will finish up the "writing process" by publishing their work in the classroom! :)
My kiddos did ok on this, but we were all exhausted by the end!
I get exhausted by narrative writing! 



What do you do that WORKS for teaching narrative writing? Do you do writers workshop???




Frames by:
 KPM Doodles
Paper Pixels
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...