Monday, October 17, 2011

Halloween Party Time and a Witches' Brew mini-unit {freebie}!

Does your school allow you to have a Halloween Party?  Well, we can't officially have a "party", but we can have Halloween activities as long as they have learning opportunities. Well DUH, I can turn anything into a learning experience!  We had our Halloween party last week {remember, I'm going off track} and let me tell you how fun it was! I have the best room moms!


How cute is this treat? One of the moms got Halloween Peeps and Oreos and put them on sticks!



Talk about a fun and exhausting game! The students raced their spider rings across the table by blowing in the straw!

We read {again} "The Little Old Lady Who Wasn't Afraid of Anything" and made the noises with each of  scarecrow parts. Then, we made the scarecrow at the end! You can find some more activities with this in my Halloween Unit.




Here's a fun activity I got from my 1st grade team that I'm doing this week! I made up the poem and activities to go with it. You buy all of these yummy ingredients at your local grocery store.
{split it up the list with like 3 classes so you don't have to buy all of the ingredients- 
you don't need a lot of each item}

You've got to go ALL OUT with this!  Dress up like a witch {or have one of your room moms come and do it}. Turn down the lights and use a flashlight!!!  You kiddos will really think you are making a brew!





After you make the brew as you read the poem, you serve it to your kiddos. I'll just give it to the kiddos in a little baggie. We eat some and we will do some of these activities.



You can download witches' brew mini-unit {here}. 




Sallie over at A Teacher Always Grows made the CUTEST class book from the ZYX Halloween Alphabet Song we posted about last week. It turned out so cute and I can't wait to do it with my class. Head over there and download your freebie! And grab the cover of the book {here}.



If you have purchased my "Being a Guided Reading Wizard" on TpT, please go download the updated/revised version! I added decoding strategy posters!!!!  
Stop by my Teachers Pay Teachers store and become a follower too and be the first to know when I'm having a "flash sale"!

Loving the clipart from:
Scrappin' Doodles
images copyright thistlegirldesigns.com
Kpmdoodles 

20 comments:

Buzzin' on Cupcakes in 1st Grade! said...

OMG! I do the exact same witches brew!!! It's a little different because I leave notes from "Wanda the Witch" each day with the given treat. The kids LOOOOVE it! My sister-in-law then dressed up like a witch and comes in for the Halloween party to act as Wanda. Check it out here:

http://busybeesandcupcakes.blogspot.com/2011/10/wanda-witch.html


Love your blog!!!

Marcy @ http://busybeesandcupcakes.blogspot.com

Gladys said...

FAB-U-LOUS...as always! But I do have a question...when do you sleep, girly! Not that I'm complaining or anything...I always take full advantage of all your creations...my kiddos LOVE them! Thanks so much, Rachelle! I totally want to be like you when I grow up!

Gladys
http://teachinginhighheels.blogspot.com

Sheri said...

I do the witches' brew, too and love these! Thank you so much for sharing them! Blessings to you! :o)

Busy Bees said...

WAY TOO CUTE!! I love the witches' brew. Thanks so much for the freebies. You are so creative!!
Robynn
BusyBees

Jess said...

Thank you so so much for the witches brew idea! I remember doing this in my first grade and I loved it! Since I've been teaching I have been looking for this! I'm so happy you've made a super cute version!!
Rambling About Reading

Ashley Nichols said...

OMG!! I love Witches Brew and this is PERFECT!! Thank you!!!!!

Tracy said...

Thanks for sharing!!! Our staff is planning on dressing as good/bad etc. witches...this is PERFECT!!!

Natalie Kay said...

SUPER CUTE!!

Teach Love said...

We are allowed to throw a full on Halloween party ^_^ (only because we celebrate Children's Day and Day of the Dead). I am so excited and thankful that I found your mini-unit! Thank you!

Ashley Knaffle said...

Love the witches brew! I am not teaching this year, but definitely am filing it away for next year! Thanks:)!

Turtle Girl said...

Love, love, love! Thank you for sharing all your wonderful ideas so students everywhere benefit! This is AMAZING!

MichelleM said...

I love this freebie-can't wait to try it. Halloween day is going to be so much fun-have so much planned!
Thanks for everything

Michelle said...

Always love your stuff - thanks so much for all the hard work you put into everything!

Charlotte said...

I love it! Can't wait to use it with my kids this year! There is a typo though :( Cheerios is spelled "Cherrios"

Jes said...

LOVE the Witches Brew! How cute, and I can't wait to use this.

Jes
http://teachinginstyle.blogspot.com/

Mrs. Miner said...

This is fantastic! I found the link on Mommy and Me Creations blog, where I was featured, too. I have printed this off, but I do a non-edible version of witches brew which (it "boils" in the end with alkaselter tablets) and the kids go nuts and think I am oh-so magical! I will probably be sharing it on my blog later this week, so be sure to follow!
Thanks for all you do.
Krissy
Mrs.Miner’s Monkey Business

Miss King said...

I love the Witches' Brew activities. I was just getting started to do some similar activities shared with my by a friend and I love what you have done! Thanks for sharing!

Brenda said...

Adorable! I'm sharing your wonderful Witch's Brew on my blog.
http://deckthehalls-christmas.blogspot.com

Thanks for the creative inspiration!
Your blog is wonderful!
Happy Halloween!
Love, Brenda

Megan said...

Hey! I shared the link to your page on my blog....Life and Times of a Third Grade Teacher. I LOVE WITCHES BREW!! It was so much fun. You are a wonderful teacher and super inspirational:)

http://newmansthirdgrade.blogspot.com/2011/11/halloween-time.html

Megan

Casey Turner said...

I just wanted to share that I HAD to come and look this post up again so that I could do Witches Brew with my students again this year. My last years kiddos absolutely LOVE it! :)

Casey
Second Grade Math Maniac: Fall Sale!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...