Monday, September 17, 2012

Management Monday - Behavior Linky!!

We're happy to say that today is Management Monday!

I don't know about you, but my students this year are a lot different from my students from last year. What worked last year with behavior, was not so much working this year.

So I tried to come up with a fun way that would help students take control of their own behavior. I thought about it for a couple days and came up with a Baseball Behavior Card.

This year in class, we are focusing on being Teammates. We read this awesome book about working together and standing up for one another.


(I got my copy of this book from the *amazing* Deedee from Deedee Wills' Kinder and her new online bookstore Clever School Teacher.)

Going along the lines of being a team, I thought that a baseball type behavior system would be perfect for my class this year. So I came up with something that went along with the saying, "Three strikes and you're out." Only I changed it to, "Three strikes = time out."



Here's how it works in my classroom:

Each week I tape a card to each student's desk. Each day of the week students record their behavior based on a 3 strike system. One strike = reminder, two strikes = warning, and three strikes = a time out.

You decide what a time out looks like in your classroom.

As a reward for good behavior, I collect the cards at the end of the week and trade them in for class dollars. Two class dollar for no strikes at all, one class dollar if they have strikes, but didn't make it to a time out.


What the Teacher Wants - Behavior Linky Party!!
Want to join our Linky Party? Simply blog about how you manage behavior in your classroom. Link your direct link {not your blog url, but your specific post's url} it to this post by Friday night using the graphic below. We'll choose 3 of our favorite posts to highlight next week!




22 comments:

Miss Foote said...

I love this book. It is the first book I read aloud every year. And it doesn't hurt that I am a huge Dodger fan! We even have a stuffed bear named Reese and another one named PeeWee.

Laurie
Chickadee Jubilee

Miss Nelson said...

I can't wait to link up. What a great post.



Miss Nelson’s Got the Camera!

amy said...

That is a clever idea! I am using the clip chart this year and it seems to be just what the kids need! I'm glad you found something that would work for you!
Amy
Where Seconds Count

Amy J said...

Awesome idea for a linky! I love to get new fun behavior management ideas that work. I love your baseball cards. Precious! I can't wait to link up. :)

Amy
http://whathappensinfirstgrade.blogspot.com

Erica Bohrer said...

I just linked up! I love seeing everyone's behavior management systems.

Miss Cosby said...

This is a great linky. I'm always looking for new ideas. You gotta keep it fresh! I love the baseball idea. We do a baseball theme for our AR points so this would fit in perfectly.

Brenda
You Might Be a First Grader...

4321Teach said...

Cute idea! Sounds like a great linky party!

EmilyK

Kelly said...

I just linked up & put the graphic on my blog :)

Kelly
First Grade Fairytales

School Sparks Renee said...

What a clever idea - and I bet it works! Renee

Traci said...

LOVE the 3 strikes idea! I like that it adds a little fun to it.
❤Dragonflies in First ❤

handbag lanvin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dmilton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bailey said...

Hi Rachelle and Natalie! I'm a long time reader, but first time commenter. You guys have such cute ideas. I noticed that Spelling City is one of your sponsors, and I just did a post about fun vocabulary resources! How do you teach vocab in your classes?

If you have time, I'd love if you'd stop over to visit me!

Bailey

mrssturdysclass.blogspot.com

Kristen Crisp said...

That is such a great idea! Thank you for sharing. This is a great linky because people are always searching for something that will work. Each group is different and each year we need to think about what works for our new group!

Here is my post:
http://www.idowedoyoudo.blogspot.com/2012/08/behavior-freebie.html


Kristen
I do, We Do, You Do!

Miss Kindergarten said...

I just linked up! And I may or may not have mentioned your blog about 50 times ;)

Underpaid & Overblessed said...

I have a sports-themed classroom and I'm so big on emphasizing TEAMWORK! (Together Everyone Achieves More!) My kids haven't displayed many disruptive behaviors, but teasing is becoming an issue. I can't wait to check out Teammates. Thanks for sharing!

Dynelle Dunn said...

Thanks for this link up, what a great idea! I have linked my blog post to it. I love to see what other teachers have come up with!

RealOCteachers said...

Great linky idea! I have enjoyed reading everyone's ideas and finding new blogs to stalk! :)


The REAL Teachers of Orange County

Jayme and Val said...

It says the collection is closed but it is not quite Friday night yet! We have posted about this linky party on our blog. If you get a chance to head over and check us out, we would appreciate it! Thanks so much for this wonderful linky party!

Jayme and Val
http://www.twotackyteachers.com

Brooke said...

Love it Natalie! And it sounds like it would go perfectly with your class. How is it working so far?

Natalie Kay said...

@Brooke! I love it. I feel like it's eliminated 90 % of the problem behaviors in my class.

Lovely Brown said...

Again, you could subscribe to relevant newsletters and make articles reading your habit I would suggest you get yourself acquitted with the system before venturing into making investment into the stock market in Nigeria. Don't Go it Alone Mining Companies and Mineral Properties Database InfoMine db. Mining Companies and Mineral Properties Database a. UK (LSE AIM) Listed Mining Companies; UK (LSE) Listed. Twelve drilled gold occurences. Eleven drill ready. Is investing in gold a good idea? Get the answer here. The association is headquartered in Geneva. Is investing in Gold a Good Idea? If you are thinking of returns or results in the short term then gold is probably not the. It is so annoying having to delete or not be able to pick up new loot, isn't it? Well, yes it is, but coming from a gold flow standpoint, it also hampers your income! The less space you have to fit items, the less you are able to sell, the less gold you will make! Now, I know that when you loot all those white and grey items, they are worth so little you don't even bother! You are wrong! They add up. To give you an idea of what to look for in a a good Forex trading software program, it should enable you to see real time charts, real time value updates, and also the different tools you need to successfully trade in the Forex market.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...