Writing Conferences

So, my sweet friend Carmen asked if I had blogged about my writing conferences and I realized that I NEEDED to do that! So, this one is for you, Carmen!


Because I do Daily 5, I like to check their writing folders once a week and have a writing conference with my students. You might do something like this for writer's workshop.  I'm doing guided reading during Daily 5, so I don't have writing conferences right then. I have writing conferences during their morning work (which is journals in my classroom), I meet with 5 students each day (2 minutes each).  I like to do it QUICK and make their writing conference more about celebrating their writing than telling them what to work on.



I use this form {click the picture to download}:


And I keep them in {this} binder:





Here's a pretend example of what the sheet looks like:



So.. basically my students write during work on writing and when they are finished, they put their finished page in the side of their 2-pocket folder that says "finished" (then they start a new one).  If the bell rings before they finish, they stick it in the side pocket that says "unfinished".  
Easy-Peasy-Lemon-Squeezy! When I'm ready to have a writing conference with them, I call them to my back table during morning work and I quickly read their pages.  I remind them what goal they should have been working on and I make a new goal with them. I ALWAYS celebrate lots and lots. I really want to build confident writers!




14 comments:

Jen Elliott said...

I love this format & the binder cover is SUPER cute!!

~Jen
Jen's Kinder Kids

Kaitlin Edmunds said...

Thank you so much for the writing conference sheet! I have been using one that is a little too wordy and this will replace it! Thank you! :)
Kaitlin
K&CLoveGrade3

Kim said...

Love it. I don't know how you get everything done! Question - do you have a lesson plan template that you use? Do you buy lesson plan book? We are wanting to re-do ours for next year, and I thought for sure you would have a great one! Thanks-
Kim

Casey said...

I really like your conference sheet and the example you showed of how you would use it. I struggle with doing writing conferences, and I think this is a great idea to do. We only have 9 weeks left at school, but I hope to try this out so that I can be comfortable with it and ready to start it from the very beginning next week. Thanks for sharing!

Casey
www.cuteclassroomcreations.blogspot.com

Misskimmers said...

During the daily 5 work on writing are your students working on these same pieces?

Julia Flint said...

OK this is so awesome that you posted this because literally today I was realizing that my kids were not exactly writing to the best of their ability during Daily 5. Cant wait to start using your sheet and having conferences with each of them! I really think it will help them do their best work when they know I am actually going to be reading and assessing them even if its quick!

Julia
The Army Wife Teacher

Mikaela said...

Thanks for sharing this. I just started D5 after winter break and was trying to figure how to conference with them about their writing and also trying to think about what a data sheet might look like. I love your quick and simple ideas. Thanks again!

forkin4th said...

SO BEAUTIFUL - I LOVE IT!! Thanks sooo much for this!
EVERYTHING turned out so beautiful!!

Also, just stopping by as I'm always inspired by your cute creations! I would be honored if you would assist me in my upcoming giveaway I'm planning to celebrate my birthday month and gaining 200 blog followers! If you're able to contribute, please shoot me an email at rivas423@gmail.com with a snapshot of your product and/or your blog button so I can send them over to visit your page as well! Anything end-of-the-year or May-themed would be great!
:)
Antonia @ forkin4th

Melanie Mowery said...

I love the form...I set up things very similarly but it is nice to see how other teachers are doing it as well.

As always I love stopping in and reading what you write! Drop in on me anytime! I am new to this but I would love any new company I can get!

http://theteachingqueen.blogspot.com/
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Melanie-Mowery

Ordinary Everyday said...

Can't wait for Carmen's inservice tomorrow! :) Thanks for sharing this too. Writing has been so difficult this year, getting these ideas is so useful! I like how you do a quick conference too. :) Thanks!

Suzy Q said...

THank you for sharing...I need to try something different. (I am impressed how your student made each goal the next time...I worry with some of mine the goal would be the same all year: use periods and capital letters!)

t. ulch said...

Thanks for the great ideas! One question...do your students work on writing using some of the writing prompt sheets that you posted or free write or both? Thanks for the help!
tjulch@mpsomaha.org

Jenni Taylor said...

Thanks for the great ideas - I did a lot of printing today from your Writing files - thanks for giving me inspiration.

Molly said...

I love your writing conference form! Super simple and easy to use! I definitely am going to use this with my 4th graders!! :)

Molly
Lessons with Laughter

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...