Throwin' It Back {Sight Word Password}


I'm linking up with Cara for Throwback Thursday!




Since our state has gone to the Common Core State Standards ,   I thought I'd read up!  As my team and I were going through the standards we noticed that our 1st graders need to not only be able to recognize the sight words but spell/write them correctly too!  BAM! That's when it hit me! I had seen an AMAZING post by Growing Kinders about a sight word password. PLEASE go to her blog and check it out...she's one of my favorites!!!  I remade the poster to match my classroom {it's my OCD}.



Here's the breakdown. Post a laminated "Today's Password" poster outside of your classroom.  Each day, with a wet erase marker, write a different password on the poster and as your kiddos enter the room, they need to whisper it to you!  Well since they have to be able to write it also, I made a "Password of the Day Book".  After they whisper it to me, they need to go write that word in their book!  


Clipart from DJ Inkers and used with permission from djinkers.com


In our 1st grade we have 5 sight words a week that go home with them to practice as homework. At the beginning of the week, I introduce the words and tape them to the board {I don't put them on my word wall yet} We also practice them everyday in class. I LOVE another one of Growing Kinders' ideas to practice sight words {HERE} Also, for more word wall/sight word activities go {HERE}! At the end of the week I {with the help of my firsties} post them on our word wall that looks like this:
{source} I love this word wall because it's mobile. I rotate classrooms every 9 weeks!


7 comments:

Reagan Tunstall said...

move classrooms every nine weeks!?! NOOOO!! We are currently holding a moment of silence candle light vigil for you at my house. How can you do it?!?!

Amber O. said...

I'm with Reagan...of all the things you typed in this post, that is the one thing I latched onto; HOW do you move classrooms every 9 weeks?!?
I love this password-sight word idea; great throwback!
SynonymRolls&AntonymMoments

Kris said...

Loved this the first time and I love it even more. I am kindergarten and next year I get rotate. I am nervous about doing it and it going smoothly.

Catherine N. said...

Hi! How about asking them to spell it to you before leaving the room? Great ideas!

firstgradetopdogs.blogspot.com

Mrs. Griffith said...

Say what!? Every 9 weeks...that's insanity! But, on the other hand LOVE this idea!

Lindsay
For the Love of First Grade

Michelle Bennett said...

I love the ideas! I am moving to first grade in the fall and I am scared to death! I've taught for 17 years, but most of that has been 4th and 5th grade. I'll be back often for ideas on how to, wow, I guess on how to do everything!

Sandy Welch said...

I'm so glad I read your post! Great ideas. My principal let us use chalkboard paint on our doors so I made a big square with a border where I can write the password and then erase for the next week's word. Works great until little hands decide to touch it! Happy 4th!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...