Sunday, October 2, 2011

Being a Guided Reading Wizard

Guided reading is not easy. I'll be the first to admit that I struggle sometimes with it. I have searched and searched for the best guided reading ideas to help my kiddos! I've racked the brains of former literacy coaches, super teachers, and even principals. I finally feel like I might be getting ahold of it.


Here is a bit how I organize it {from a previous post}


This is my {FAVORITE} guided reading tool ever (I got it from a workshop at my school).
This little folder organizes my students by level.  1st graders are ever-so-changing and always moving up so fast in reading groups. All you need is a folder, paper, velcro, and a little lamination!


Under each level there is a strip of "fuzzy" velcro. Then, each student has their own tag with their name on it and a piece of velcro on the back.
I take a running record of each student once a week. I keep it in this binder.
 For the cover of this binder {and a bunch others}, click {here}.
Each student has a tab in the Guided Reading binder.
I also keep anecdotal notes in there that I observed during the groups' reading time.
 For a copy of the running record sheet, click {here}.
These are my books for the day/week.  Each group is separated into colors.
The students know what color of group they are in.



After MANY requests by email and Facebook
I've created a Guided Reading Packet...with over 80 pages of activities and tools you can use in your small reading groups! It fits perfectly with kindergarten and 1st grade!









This unit is up on my Teachers Pay Teachers store
 and is on sale right now {I have this thing for sales}!!!



I'll give this 80 page packet away to the first person to comment with their email AND guess my next favorite thing to do other than teaching and blogging.

Is it???
a) organize 
b) craft
c) workout 
d) cuddle 

34 comments:

Miss C said...

Organize?


lizacteach@gmail.com



Ahh.....I want it so bad! Haha I hope I am right! It is the effort that counts right?!

Charlotte said...

clwhite1003@gmail.com

cuddle!

Jennifer said...

Work out!

Rowdy in First Grade

rowdyinfirstgrade@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

darcichristner@yahoo.com

I think you like to organize!!

cherylp said...

cheryl525@hotmail.com

I'm going to guess Craft.

That's my next favorite thing to do! :)

Leslie Ann said...

I'm guessing organzing based on how well everything is laid out in this post!
Love your stuff!!!! :) :) :)

Kathleen said...

I think you're a crafter.... :)

thepolkadotowl said...

Oh my goodness, this is awesome!! I am going to guess...cuddle, especially now! :)

thepolkadotowl@gmail.com

Kreative in Kinder said...

This is great! I am going to pin it to pinterest right now.

I am thinking crafts. :) You're very creative!

<>< Crystal
kreativekinder@yahoo.com

Katie Henley said...

klhenley86@gmail.com

craft!

Charlotte said...

Dang! My caps lock was on so I had to type my password like 4 times before I figured it out to log on! So close to being the first!!

Natalie Kay said...

That's a super tough question... I know you are an organization freak! But, you do like to crafty.... and I'm sure you like to cuddle. Hum... I say it's a 4-way tie!

Do I win?! :)
talie321@gmail.com

Marika's Blog said...

It's totally crafting. You live for it!!

Rebecca said...

My guess is cuddle! There's nothing like a little bit of love!

Rebecca
Teaching First

Rebecca said...

oops! My email is rebasutton@gmail.com
=)

Rebecca
Teaching First

Sally said...

I'm going to guess workout simply because I don't see any other "workout" comments!

Sally from ElementaryMatters

Sally said...

oops... elementarymatters@gmail.com

Gladys said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gladys said...

Ahhh! I'm going to be broke soon! This is definitely on my TpT wishlist now! It looks awesome, Rachelle!

Crayons and Curls said...

I am guessing craft, but maybe organize! No... let's go with craft! :)

Teacher Tam said...

That looks amazing. I too struggle, not knowing if I am completely doing my guided reading correctly. I keep changing it up as well. Anyway, thanks for letting us know about the packet.

Jodi said...

This looks great!!!!

Jodi
fun-in-first.blogspot.com

Ann Marie said...

I think you like to do all of those things :)

First, you'll get your workout out of the way early. That will give you the energy you need to organize all of your closets and drawers at home and school. Then, of course you'll run to the craft store to set up a scrapbook page of your week's adventures and bedazzle a decoration for the bulletin board that you've been inventing in your head all week for your upcoming unit on October/pumpkins. Finally, when all your fun work is done, you'll find time to cuddle wearing your snuggie and a smile on the couch!

Anonymous said...

Workout!

dawnbodtke@yahoo.com

Dalton Family said...

hmmmmm...I would say ALL OF THE ABOVE!

natalie.dalton@beaver.k12.ut.us

Nicole said...

Organize. I need help there. At home and school.

Barefoot In First Grade said...

I believe that you like to be organized. After looking at your material and wholeheartedly agreeing with you about struggling with guided reading groups. I truly want my children to be successful and to do that I need your assistance with helping organizing myself. Pick me :o)

Chrissy said...

I'm sharing the "I Heart Your Blog" award with ya'll! Thank you for sharing your creativity with us!

ReadWriteSing

meadowt said...

I beleive it is organize
Barbara
meadowt@msn.com

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing it's crafting.However, you are clearly an organizer! I would love, love, love, to have this for my kinders! I could certainly use all the help I can get in this area!
Cheryl
cherylm2155@suddenlink.net

Amy Fish said...

I think you are an incredibly organized, CRAFTER who does enjoy working out. My final answer is..... crafting!!!!

Amy F. ......... Teachf1rst@aol.com

Min Kim said...

Craft!!

I'd love to read about craft :)

minhee3377@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

WhaBlr [url=http://chaneljponline.org/]シャネル 化粧品[/url] IukGzy http://chaneljponline.org/ TkeDoi [url=http://www.coachjpsales.net/]コーチ バッグ アウトレット[/url] NcwVtc http://www.coachjpsales.net/ CuvMmm [url=http://pradasjapan.net/]プラダ バッグ 新作 2012 秋冬[/url] VklJbp http://pradasjapan.net/ JzsPth [url=http://coachonsales.org/]コーチ バッグ アウトレット[/url] QleEqp http://coachonsales.org/

charity semien said...

I know I am super late but I was so lucky to cluck on your blog!!! This is amazing stuff!!!

CRAFT!!!!!!!

csemien@houstonisd.org

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...